So some rumors on this upcoming product are dripping out of woodwork.
Apparently, the "Big Surprise" mentioned in the earlier 2008 rumor roundup is this Codex, and it sounds like a very unique and unusual offering from GW.
- Sources say that this codex will be a large over sized book; possibly even hardcover.
- It will detail each of the 4 chaos powers in depth, and fully describe their background, place in the GW universe and their warp-spawned minions from the Majors on down to the beasts.
- It will cover BOTH Warhammer Fantasy, and 40k.
- There will be 2 full stand alone lists (one for each game system) that will let you play a fully warp-spawned army of the Ruinous Powers.
- There will be roughly a dozen named characters spread across the 4 powers some of which can be used in both game universes. Foulspawn and Doombreed will make a reappearance as well as several Warhammer Fantasy ICs gone for several editions.
- The list is NOT compatible with Codex: CSMs, and some say it is not a tournament-legal publication at all, but only for use in Apocalypse, casual pickup games, and other "fun/narrative games".
-It would seem that the studio may have been quite serious in re-balancing the game away from the "min-max tourney" scene and returning the fun, wonder, and hobby to the game. First Apocalypse, and now this. If the company has the guts to put out a codex designed from the get-go to not be used on the tournament scene, it would be something to see...and quite a risk. What do you guys think of it?