Rumors brought to the community by Warseer's Brimstone and MoonlightSonata
Hi all, there is some Necron Scuttlebutt floating about out there.
Early word is that Necrons may be slated for the Q2-09 40k release slot. There is another codex scheduled ahead of them but there is conflicting data on what it is (currently bouncing around between IG, Space Wolves, Dark Eldar). The info reported so far is:
- Removal of the C'tan from the Codex as fieldable units (they are still in the fluff).
- The C'tan are to be moved over to Apocalypse where they will make an appearance as much more powerful single figures (possibly with attendant new oversized Forgeworld minis).
- The big new HQ replacement for them will be entirely new tiered-level Necron Lords. Read the Apocalypse Necron background page for insight into what may be coming, but there is talk of Bronze, Silver, Gold, possibly even Platinum Lords.
Lords are said to have multiple special abilities and options, and certtain levels of Lords may re-arrange the Force Org chart for certain units, making different army builds possible. An example of an option was an advanced necrodermis, allowing the Lord to mimic his C,tan masters (and conveniently allow for the use of the existing C'Tan minis).
- There will be Necron Lord named characters.
- The rest of the army is described as getting a small number of new units, and having several existing units rearranged by Force Org category.
- In general, the Necron army is desribed as being somewhat "buffed".
~Interesting if true, and these would seem to dovetail nicely with the last set of Necron rumors we heard several months ago. A Q2 release slot seems odd unless there is some issue with mini or codex development with several of the other codices which are older (Wolves and Dark Eldar mainly). Still I would applaud the move if only to rid the game of the wonkiness and arguments that We'll Be Back can generate. As usual, Caveat emptor folks.