Reecius here again with another review, this time: Grimaldus of the Black Templars!
As always, check out Frontline Gaming for more in depth, unit-by-unit reviews of the Space Marine codex.
Grimaldus is the stoic, never-say-die High Chaplain of the Black Templars and a tough koot in a fight, surviving the collapse of a building on his noggin and still coming back for more. Let’s take a look at his stats and see if he is as resilient on the table-top as he is in the fluff.
Grimaldus is a nice blend of combat character and force multiplier. Used correctly, he can be very good although like his brother in arms, Helbrecht, he is always going to be held to the standard of the generic Chapter Master he competes with. He is also not cheap at all, weighing at the cost of 2 generic Chaplains + 5 pts. As with all other non-EW, toughness 4 based models, he is susceptible to getting insta-gibbed quite easily in the current meta and his foot speed is also a limiting factor.
- Power Maul
- Master Crafted Plasma Pistol. Nice little bonus damage, possible light/medium vehicle killer.
- Cenobyte Servitors x 3: weighing in at 10pts a pop, and allowing you to add 2 more, these guys give all friendly Black Templars units (with the Chapter Tactics) a 6++. That is so situationally good that I would probably not take them in anything but a for fun list.
- Black Templars
- It Will Not Die
- Zealot (Fearless and Hatred USRs)
- Unmatched Zeal: all friendly Black Templars within 6″ gain Zealot. Pretty snazzy but with a painfully small radius.
- Warlord: Rites of War: Friendly Space Marines units within 12″ his his Ld for Morale checks. A very good warlord trait, IMO, only limited by its range.
Grimaldus is really expensive as previously stated. He doesn’t really hit all that hard, though. A Power Maul is nice with high strength attacks (much better than a Power Sword, IMO) and in a challenge he gets rerolls (if he doesn’t already due to Hatred) and rending, which is nice, but it will hardly level the playing field when you find yourself fighting a 2+ save model or nasty MC of some kind. He also suffers the same vulnerability to instant death as any non-EW, T4 character, and that is a real liability with all of the crazy Monstrous Creatures running around the game these days. An errant Krak missile or high strength barrage weapon and he’s done for. For those reasons his increased durability through an extra wound and It Will Not Die is nice, but really not that amazing as they are all for naught when he suffers instant death. However, if you do find yourself waist deep in Orks or something similar, that bonus will be really nice. Just watch out for the Nob’s Klaw!
In summary I feel that Grimaldus is just too expensive for what you get and as such, is not likely to be seen at a tournament but that he can be fun, and a great addition to a Black Templars horde list in a casual setting.
So, agree, or disagree – is even trying to go assault Marines (and the Chaplains to go with them) a Fool’s Errand in 6th?