Hello and welcome to Outside the Box! This time we have news from Warlord Games, Spartan Games, Wyrd Miniatures, Hawk Wargames, Mantic Games, Micro Art Studio, Prodos Games, GCT Studios, Dark Age Games, DUST and Knight Models as well as new crowdfunding campaign!
Today I want to share some photos of a warband of Emperor's Children - but these Fallen Astartes are doing a job way more important then my entire collection of Loyalists - they are keeping a soldier company.
The Blogosphere loves to describe the many faces of the miniatures gamer; to divide, and label, and categorize - and subcategorize. I'm not complaining, being more guilty than most over years of writing articles. Still, let's do it again.
I've fallen in love with Fantasy Flight's X-Wing Miniatures Game. It has a great combination of deck/list building and quick game play with just the right mix of finding the right combo without being combo-dependent.
But what really sold me was the Millennium Falcon. And if one Millennium Falcon is good, by all means, three is better!
Ok, well, so you can't have three in a game. The YT-1300 is the generic freighter and the Millennium Falcon is a unique variant, a 1 point upgrade to a normal YT-1300. So since I've got three YT-1300's now, some of them are going to need some modifications to differentiate them from the named ship.
This is the first time I've worked on one of the X-Wing miniatures, so I did a little experimentation. The X-Wing models come pre-painted and the YT-1300 is nicely detailed for the price, especially considering Star Wars pieces usually carry a premium.
The first goal was to remove some of the wash to give the whole model a cleaner look. I dipped a piece of blister foam in some odorless turpentine and gave it a little scrubbing, paying close attention to the rear vents that were especially dirty. A good cleaning lightened the color and brightened it up compared to the factory paint job.
Next up was to cover the open access panels. The Millennium Falcon has a lot of special modifications (or is a piece of junk, depending on who you ask), so I figure a ship with fewer parsecs under her belt would be a little more buttoned-up.
This plasticard was carefully cut to fit the openings and then super glued in pace. I used a standard hole punch for the front round openings and split a hole punch circle to give some detail to those covers. The rear panels got bit-scraps of plasticard for details and then I sculpted some tubes on the panel opposite the communications dish. I used the left-over greenstuff to fill in the port side damage and create a new pipe junction to cover most of the damage on the starboard front.
Since I'd only made a few changes, I didn't want to strip and re-paint the whole thing. I don't plan on making any changes to my Millennium Falcon, so I wanted this new ship to be consistent with the factory paint. I touched up the new white panels with a combination of the older Citadel Foundation paints: two parts Astronomican Grey with one part Deneb Stone. The combination is a very close match to the warm, factory grey. I also touched up some of the panels in the rear, to give it a little less worn look. I also did a couple of thin coats of this color over all the red panels, since I wanted to have a distinctive accent color on the new YT-1300. The Foundation colors blend well with the factory paint job because they are a little more muted. The blue accent is Mordian Blue and I found that Citadel Codex Grey is a good match to the dark grey already on the model.
I finished off the model with a thin lamp black oil wash on the new paint, and a thin lining of Chaos Black to help emphasize the edges on the new panels.
That's all there is to it. Here's a picture of the final product next to the original. Close enough to not look out-of-place, but different enough to not be confusing on the table top.
Still one more YT-1300 to modify, but for now, may the Force be with you!