The new White Dwarfs are almost here. Here’s my take on what is headed our way.
The first weekly White Dwarf and Monthly Warhammer Visions hit the streets this weekend. And while the purpose of the weekly is clearly sales and marketing, the monthly promises to be an even bigger and better version of White Dwarf.
From Games Workshop:
Introducing two new magazines from the White Dwarf team!
White Dwarf, now weekly.
Available exclusively through Games Workshop stores, independent retailers, and games-workshop.com. White Dwarf is an exciting and essential weekly hobby magazine that contains something for every hobbyist, every week – guaranteed!
– 36 pages of everything that is exciting and new in the hobby this week.
– Detailed information on all the week’s other new releases, and the latest hobby news.
– New features, new modelling and painting techniques, new rules, new columnists and much more.
– All this every week for the same price as a single Citadel pot of paint!
Issue No.1 launches Saturday 1st February and subsequent issues follow every Saturday.
Warhammer: Visions, now monthly.
Experience a visual feast of super high-quality Citadel Miniatures. In more than 230 pages you’ll find a completely new take on the worlds of Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 in a stunning new extended pictorial style.
– Contains all your favourite sections from Army of the Month and Blanchitsu, to Kit Bash and Paint Splatter.
– Over 70 more pages than the previous monthly White Dwarf with more Golden Demon and Armies on Parade photos and more fantastic photographs of Citadel miniatures than ever before.
And it’s wrapped up in a fabulous new format that you will want to keep and collect!
Issue No.1 out Saturday 1st February.
The weekly is meant to drive people into the store and push the weekly releases. Word is it is also meant to cut down on rumor mongering and information leaks by getting the info to the street faster. That doesn’t seem to make sense to me, as I still fail to see why GW is worried about rumors that simply get people talking about their products. Either way, White Dwarf Weekly’s success will depend on if gamers want to buy a weekly publication telling you what you can buy that week.
The monthly looks to be a very interesting and at 230 pages looks like a serious step up from the old White Dwarf. It is clear that the new name is meant to create a new brand. I have high hopes for this new monthly.
Which of these two are you most likely to start buying?