Researchers at Tufts University are teaching robots self preservation – all hail our future robot overlords!
- Knowledge : Do I know how to do X?
- Capacity : Am I physically able to do X now? Am I normally physically able to do X?
- Goal priority and timing : Am I able to do X right now?
- Social role and obligation : Am I obligated based on my social role to do X?
- Normative permissibility : Does it violate any normative principle to do X?
If you want to get into the nitty gritty of the project you can read Gordon Briggs and Matthias Scheutz paper here. Also, if you’re interested in building your own robots, Stack Social has an awesome Arduino beginners bundle available right now.
What do you think about this line of research? Are you ready for robots that are built to follow Asimov’s rules?