One of the best CRPGs of all time is back and better than ever…
So you may have noticed the mysterious countdown at Planescape.com a while back. And while I am mildly disappointed that the reveal was not, in fact, a Planescape setting book for 5th Edition, it is only mild, because instead the reveal heralded the arrival of an HD remaster of Planescape: Torment, which is without a doubt one of the finest CRPGs ever produced. Designed by the legendary Chris Avellone, this is one of the gold standards for gaming–and rightly so. It brought Planescape to life, told a story that just didn’t happen before the game came out. Experimental, dark, humorous–the game is all of these things and more.
Planescape: Torment is the story of the Nameless One, a being who has lived many lives but forgotten all about them, even his name. The Nameless one journeys through the city of Sigil (and a few other planes) and along the way meets a cast of fantastic characters including:
Morte: A talking, floating, wisecracking skull.
Dak’kon: A githzerai who was once a zerth, but has since been clouded with doubt.
Annah-of-the-Shadows: A tiefling thief, brash, sarcastic, and fiercely independent.
Fall-From-Grace: A succubus cleric who worships no god.
Vhailor: An animated suit of armor who believes in JUSTICE.
Nordom: A rogue Modron who is just the greatest.
This game has everything you’d want out of an amazing D&D game. Story, personality–the combat takes a backseat in part of the game, and that’s what gives it the freedom to make a pretty significant departure from many of the “rpg” tropes that had been established up to this point.
This game changed the way I looked at RPGs. So it’s fantastic to see it getting a little bit of an update (and with lead designer Chris Avellone back to help make it more playable). The game itself is available come April 11th, and before too long should be coming to a mobile device as well. Now there is literally no excuse not to play through this
via Beam Dog
The original Planescape: Torment was released in 1999 to widespread critical acclaim. It won RPG of the Year from multiple outlets for its unconventional story, characters, and amazing soundtrack. Since then, millions of Planescape: Torment fans have enjoyed exploring the strange and dangerous city of Sigil and surrounding planes through the Nameless One’s eyes.
Discover an incredibly rich story and a setting unlike anything else in fantasy. Defeat strange and alien creatures, engage in rich dialogue, and explore the dark and dangerous Planescape setting in this 50+ hour RPG classic.
This is Planescape: Torment like you’ve never seen before.
“What can change the nature of a man?”
You are the Nameless One, a hulking figure covered in scars and tattoos collected over the course of countless lives—none of which you can remember, but are now coming back to haunt you. You are prodded awake by Morte, a floating skull and keeper of secrets, to embark on an adventure taking the Nameless One from the dirty streets of Sigil into the mysterious Outer Planes and even into the depths of Hell itself.
Portals riddle the planar metropolis of Sigil, providing access to anywhere in existence, but only if you have the proper key. Known as the “City of Doors,” Sigil is a neutral ground where demons, devas, and races from across the multiverse gather under the watchful shadow of the Lady of Pain, the city’s enigmatic ruler. This is a place where the word is mightier than the sword, where thought defines reality, and belief has the power to reshape worlds.
In your search for answers, you’ll find companions matching the bizarre nature of the planes: a chaste succubus who can kill with a kiss, a confused crossbow-wielding cube, a suit of armor animated by a spirit demanding JUSTICE, and more. With these companions and others at the Nameless One’s side, you will explore worlds in search of answers, all to discover that some destinies cannot be escaped and some memories cost more than even an immortal can bear.
- Enhanced Planescape: Chris Avellone, Lead Designer on Planescape Torment, has partnered with Beamdog to curate gameplay updates, bug fixes, and enhancements to best capture his original vision for the game.
- The Planes Await: Planescape is a setting you’ve never experienced before, filled with strange magics, bizarre adversaries, and Dungeons & Dragons locations from across the multiverse.
- Conversations to Remember: Encounter personable items, philosophic undead, and rat hiveminds while walking the planes with the strangest collection of allies ever seen in an RPG.
- Pick Your Path: Character creation is just the beginning. The Nameless One can change his class, alignment, and even gain new abilities based on your choices.
WHAT’S NEW IN THIS VERSION
- Remastered Music: The full Planescape: Torment soundtrack has been remastered in-game to add more depth to Sigil and the multiverse.
- 4K Interface: Sigil has never looked this good! The interface of Planescape: Torment has been rebuilt in high-definition with tons of new convenience features.
- A Planescape For Today: The Enhanced Edition includes modern features such as tab highlighting, area zooming, combat log, quickloot, and more!
- Play It Your Way: Enable Enhanced Edition features as you desire or turn them off to experience Planescape: Torment in its original glory.
- Cast Comprehend Languages: Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition is available in English, French, Polish, German, and Korean. Note: Korean translations are text only with voice-overs played in English.
- It’s Everywhere: Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition can be played on Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. Find it on Beamdog, Steam, GOG, iTunes, and Google Play.
Happy adventuring, berk.