Pre-order a game master’s guide that’s bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.
That’s right, there’s a new sourcebook coming out for everyone’s favorite Whovian RPG from Cubicle 7–the Gamemaster’s Guide, which promises to be full of scenarios, gm tools and tricks of the trade that you can use to make your adventures as poignant as The Angels Take Manhattan and shut up I just have something in my eye, that’s all.
At any rate, you can find all the info you’ll need over at Paizo’s website, where you can also pre-order the book itself. It sounds like this is one that might be worth checking it out even if you’re not playing the Dr. Who roleplaying game–there are a lot of storytelling tricks like incorporating flashbacks (a favorite tool of mine) and starting in medias res that seem like they’re included in the book. So check it out and level up your game, whatever it is.
Dr. Who: GameMaster’s Companion – $31.46 (pre-order)
Sitting in the Gamemaster’s chair can be the most daunting job in roleplaying games. It is also the most rewarding. This book is here to help you get the most out of the experience.
The Gamemaster’s Companion is a resource for you to use to run the Doctor Who Roleplaying Game, offering expert advice on creating scenarios in the style of the Doctor’s adventures. It’s a veritable toolbox of tips, tricks and techniques that you can use in your own games.
You’ll be using flashbacks, starting games in media res and ending your next session with a killer cliffhanger before you know it!
- Starting out – how to set up a new game, and advice on guiding your players through effective character creation.
- Adventures – an advice-filled exploration of the role of the Gamemaster, detailing plotting adventures, detailed, expert guidance on writing story arcs, and a gigantic random adventure generator.
- Villains and Monsters – a TARDIS-full of hints and tips on creating memorable villains and effective adversaries for your games.
- Settings – how to create them and how to get your players onboard.
- Running Games – guidance for keeping everyone happy, busy and engaged, with notes on pacing, foreshadowing, exterminating characters, people, places, planets and impossible places.
- Three new Doctor Who adventures – Death in Toytown, The Grip of the Kraken and The Bellagio Imbroglio.
“Hello. anyway, why don’t we stop and have a nice little chat where I tell you all my plans and you can work out a way to stop me, I don’t think.” – The Master, Utopia
Written by Morgan Davie, Mark Lawford, Andrew Peregrine, Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan and Nathaniel Torson, the Gamemaster’s Companion is a 160 page, full colour, hardcover.
Pre-ordering this book makes it a fixed point in time, if you think about it.