Forge World and the 8th Edition rules have allowed weapons and units simple impossible in previous editions!
As we all know, Forge World is racing to get all their model’s rules out. They are doing it in a series of 4 books:
The first two of these: Astartes and Chaos are out and flying through the internet and mail to gamers across the planet. The Astra Militarum and Xenos won’t be far behind.
What 8th Rules Allows
One of the early things that opened gamer’s eyeballs when 8th was being teased was the discarding of the 1-10 scale for many stats. The updated STRENGTH vs TOUGHNESS chart only deals in statistical comparisons. thing like equal, greater than, lesser than, double or more, half or less.
Now most of the “normal part” of the game lives in the 3-6 side of things like S4 bolters, T3 Eldar, T5 Plaguemarines, and the occasional – OMG S10 Vindicator Cannon.
But the new system is elegant in that is allows for scaling up on the high end of things. We got a hint of this when folks notices little things like the S:14 shots from the T’au Stormsurge’s primary gun.
Welcome to Forge World
But then titans got involved. You just knew they were going to be REALLY REALLY SCARY didn’t you?
Now we’re not going to ruin the book for you, but here’s just a teensy taste of what is possible under the 8th rules – using the Chaos titans as examples.
Remember this is the little titan. 35 wounds, T9, and a Sv3+, in addition to a void shield invulnerable save to keep away the big stuff. It’s fast – 24″ fast and has all the special rules you need to stomp your way to victory. Infernal God Engine means there are no cheap tricks to lock it down or keep it from blazing away. If you Advance, you’re hitting 36″ a turn, and if the bad guys eventually bring you down, make a beeline for the center of their army and hope you take them with you in blaze of atomic fury.
On the weapons side of things the dual turbo-laser destructor should keep Land Raider drivers up at night. The Inferno gun is going to thin out hordes fast and the Titan Stride special rules can also make large groups of models trying to swamp a Warhound in the Fight Phase a dicey proposition.
Onto the BIG guys….
Here’s a quick tease at the Reaver titan – remember it’s the medium titan. I don’t envy anyone who has to face off against one. 60 wounds with T10 and Void Shields is going to be a grind.
About that Strength 30…
Finally, you’ve been waiting for it. You will have to buy the books to see exactly what kind of utter lunacy a Warlord titan is – but here’s a taste of it’s weapons options…
I have nothing to add – those stats speak for themselves. All hail the Belicosa – KING of weapons!
Go buy these right away to prepare yourselves:
Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astartes
– The Battle Armour section includes 10 datasheets for using your tank miniatures;
– The Heavy Armour section includes 6 datasheets for using your heavy, super-heavy and assault tank miniatures;
– The Dreadnoughts section includes 7 datasheets for using your Dreadnought miniatures;
– The Strike Craft section includes 10 datasheets for using your flyer miniatures;
– The Battlefield Support includes 9 datasheets for using your artillery, drop pods and stronghold miniatures;
– 6 datasheets for using your War Machines of the Grey Knights, The Inquisition & Adepta Sororitas miniatures;
– 26 datasheets for using your Imperial Armour Character miniatures.
Index: Forces of the Astra Militarum
– 59 datasheets for using your Astra Militarum miniatures;
– 16 datasheets for using your Death Korps of Krieg miniatures;
– 11 datasheets for using your Elysians miniatures;
– 14 datasheets for using your Renegades & Heretics miniatures;
– 7 datasheets for using your Imperial Knights/Knight Questoris miniatures;
– 3 datasheets for using your Titans.
– 18 datasheets for using your Eldar/Aeldari miniatures;
– 2 datasheets for using your Dark Eldar/Drukhari miniatures;
– 23 datasheets for using your T’au Empire miniatures;
– 11 datasheets for using your Necron miniatures;
– 19 datasheets for using your Ork miniatures;
– 8 datasheets for using your Tyranids miniatures.
Index: Forces of Chaos
– The Daemon Bound section includes 6 datasheets for using your daemon engine miniatures;
– The Hellforged section includes 18 datasheets for using your tank, artillery and drop pod miniatures;
– The Eyrine Cults section includes 7 datasheets for using your flyer miniatures;
– The Lords of Ruin section includes 5 datasheets for using your Chaos Lord miniatures;
– The Children of the Warp section includes 12 datasheets for using your daemon miniatures;
– 7 datasheets for using your Traitor Questoris miniatures;
– 3 datasheets for using your Chaos Titans miniatures.
~Be careful out there commanders – it’s a scary dangerous galaxy.