There are now reports of work coming down from GW to retailers regarding exactly what Age of Sigmar is. Here’s the latest:
via Rhellion 6-12-2015 (via twitter/twitlonger)
Games Workshop is launching the Age of Sigmar – a completely new system – on July 11th. You can start promoting the Age of Sigmar in your store today!
What is the Age of Sigmar?
· The Age of Sigmar is a brand new system that continues the End Times story
· This system is a great way for new customers to start collecting fantasy miniatures
· Existing customers will be able to use their current miniature collections and add to them with the Age of Sigmar
It is a continuation of the story line, but not going back to the old world. 100% of the models available now will continue to be supported. The audience for this launch is not the dwindling number of Fantasy players, but for EVERYONE including the veterans but with the idea that this isn’t “just” 9th edition which will just loose them more players but a whole new mechanic to draw people in.
They are actually doing trade shows and cons this year to drive interest in the game.
This is a continuation of the story of End Times but NOT the old world. If a model is currently for sale by GW it will be usable in some way.
I don’t have confirmation of the horrible “reality bubbles” rumor, but he (HIS GW REP) is going to ask about it.
I’ll be getting significantly more info the week of the 29th, with the idea of doing a build up event the week of the 4th.”
Some notes on this:
1) This reads like a message sent from GW to retailers to get them preliminary info on the upcoming product to pass onto customers.
2) Note the emphasis on NEW players STARTING fantasy miniature collecting…
3) “the dwindling number of Fantasy players, but for EVERYONE” That’s a bit of an unvarnished take on where things stand with WFB.
4) If a model is currently for sale by GW it will be usable in some way.
This is one of the most brutally honest descriptions of WFB and what GW hopes to achieve with Age of Sigmar. It sounds more like acomplete reboot with the intention of bringing in a whole new wave of brand new players and sweep the existing WFB players along with the tide doesn’t it? It certainly doesn’t have the sound of an incremental releases and ruleset compared to WFB 8th.
So does this make you feel better or worse about the new system?