Rumors have been percolating about a new installment of the franchise for awhile. We got confirmation this week in the form of a teaser starring a familiar vehicle.
- It’s being made by Sony and is scheduled to hit theaters Summer of 2020
- Filming starts soon
- Jason Reitman (son of Ivan Reitman) will direct and co-write
- Set in the world of the first to movies released in the 1980s, will not have ties to the 2016 movie
- Not a reboot – it’s a continuation
- Casting has not been announced
- There’s also an animated series in the works that will come out after the movie
Borys Kit, who writes for the Hollywood Reporter, shared this on Twitter – but it has yet to be confirmed by Sony or director Jason Reitman.
The main characters will be 4 teens: 2 boys, 2 girls, per sources. https://t.co/jwcSlpz3CY
— Borys Kit (@Borys_Kit) January 16, 2019
For the Reitman’s, Ghostbusters is a family tradition. Ivan Reitman directed the first two movies, and he cast his family as extras and had them visit the set during production. Jason Reitman recalled what that was like..
I remember being on set and seeing them try out the card catalog gag for the first time when the library ghost makes them come flying out. I remember the day they killed Stay Puft and I brought home a hardened piece of foam that just sat on a shelf for years. I was scared there was a terror dog underneath my bed before people knew what a terror dog was.
Ivan will produce this new film, but hand the directing over to his son. Jason has a good record as a director; mainly with indies about human relationships with a later of dark humor like Juno, Up in the Air, and Tully. It’ll be interesting to see his take, and who he chooses to go along for the ride with him. Casting news should be trickling out in the next several months.