Want to increase the threat range of your independent characters? This tactic will show you how!
I though, for today’s instalment i thought i would mix it up a bit, i have been discussing specific units and their role on the battlefield alot as well as covering formations and how to get the most out of them but today i wanted to share a more general tactic that can be used by any faction and is particularly usefull to khorne daemonkin… I call it the slingshot.
Now this tactic is quite difficult to describe so i have put together a Youtube video demonstrating how it works, you can find it here:
This video shows ONE of the MILLIONS of ways that this tactic can be used to increase the threat range of your independent characters.
For those who cant watch the video the basic principle is this:
Say you have a Chaos Lord in Termie armour, he is 20″ from a Leman Russ Demolisher. Since his maximum threat range is 18″ (6″move 12″charge) there is no way he can engage that vehicle on his own BUT if we have a fast or better positioned unit that can, we may be able to “slingshot” the Lord into combat.
- For example you have a unit of Flesh Hounds off to the side.
- The Lord moves forward his 6″ then the Hounds move so they conga line between the Lord and the vehicle, getting as close to the vehicle as possible while maintaining coherency with the Lord.
- Now the Lord can declare he is joining the Hounds as one unit.
- Now that the Lord is part of the Hound unit he can declare a charge!
- Say you roll an average 7″ you can now move all your Hounds AND the Lord an extra 7″ then when you add the pile in move of 3″ your Lord will be within 2″ of a model in base contact and can therefore engage in combat and chainfist the vehicle!
This is just one example, there are literally millions of applications of this tactic. Use a little imagination and this can be an excellent tool to have in the toolbox 🙂
This tactic is by no means “new” and you may have seen variations on various blogs/forums but i thought it is definitely worth sharing here because it is very effective, particularly for Khorne Daemonkin
Thanks again for tuning in! Make sure you keep your eyes peeled for the next instalment of Tactica: Khorne Daemonkin! and while you are at it head over to Blog for the Blood God, give me a like, and join in on the other great content! Everything from Battle Reports to Hobby Tutorials, Rules discussions and tactics to Animated movies and 40k based comedy.