Sit down with GW’s Phil Kelly and Andy to talk about what’s happening in the Grimdark as we launch into 8th Edition.
Key 8th Edition Lore Takeaways
- 40k’s storyline in 8th picks up and grows off the seeds planted in “Gathering Storm”
- The chaos actions and invasions during Traitor’s Hate/ Angel’s Blade have punched through reality and contributed to the Great Rift’s creation.
- The Great Rift has basically created two Imperiums.
- The Imperium Nihilis is the great wilderness of the galaxy with opportunities for mayhem and new plotlines.
- Chaos and Xenos are ascendant and taking advantage of the upheaval.
- Armageddon is getting some attention with a new plotline planned – many factions will vie for control.
- Ultramar is under attack by the Death Guard.
- Mortarion is described as patient and strategic. He has been biding his time and planning his revenge upon Ultramar.
- The Daemon Primarchs are pulling the strings of the chaos force’s actions.
- New narratives will be crafted for how the Great Rift affects the actions of every Xenos faction – each will get their turn.
Onto the Rules…
Key Design Takeaways
- Design was designed to keep the depth and granularity of 40K.
- More accessible to new players than the old ruleset.
- Unified rules structure that can handle anything from a grot to a Warlord titan.
- Support multiple styles of play from casual to competitive.
- Putting the rules you need to play in front of the player when they need them – datasheets.
- Power Level ratings reflects the “average” power level of a unit between it’s minimum and maximum equipment options.
- Keywords are designed to both allow desired rules synergies while restricting unwanted rules combos in one elegant package.
- Command Points give the player some strategy options to give them a feel of command outside of their models.
Look for more of these in the days ahead.
~ What’s your favorite part of the new 8th Lore?