This week we’re featuring a fierce German Cosplayer!
Top image: Barbarian, Original inspired by Diablo, Photographer: A.Z.Production Cosplay
Welcome to the Cosplay Artist Spotlight!
Welcome to the New Year! We have searched far and wide, and have a group of exceptional and inspiring Cosplayers for you in 2018. We’re continuing our spotlight with Shadow Border Cosplay, a Warbla artist of incredible talent!
1. How did you get your start in cosplay? How long have you been creating your projects? What inspires you to work in the cosplay realm?
I started cosplaying in 2013 with Vocaloid (my first self-made cosplay), a pretty basic project. Im living in a town in germany where a big convention is every September. The first time I visited this con was with a good friend (she was a visu) in 2010, and we were very flashed by what we saw. It felt great to be there and I wanted to be a part of it so bad. In 2016, I started to build my first full armor set (my Anubis). I was working as a hairdresser after i finished school but just for 6 years and then i quit because is wanted to be happy and make my hobby into my job.
2. What is your strongest construction aspect?
I would say breastplates and helmets. I left myself much time while building them because they are the head and heart of the cosplay.
3. What is your favorite type of cosplay work to do?
My favorite part is 100% the painting. You can repaint 1000 times and your cosplay won‘t be mad at you. You can always re-do it and it means that you are about to finish a project.
4. What are your favorite completed projects, or your most popular?
My favorite cosplay is my male sindragosa form the zach fischer artwork. I’m sure it is also my most popular cause Zach is well known for his art and his Sindragosa was nearly everywhere in my timeline this time.
5. What material is your favorite to work with?
I love to work with worbla by cast4art. Its just an awesome material and there is nothing you can’t do with it. Even if many say it is very expensive, your cosplay will be very long lasting with it so you are long time happy with an armor and that makes the price worth it.
6. What are your favorite fandoms? Favorite characters?
Diablo Wizards, Lara Croft (tomb raider), Princess Mononoke, Walter White (Breaking Bad), Luna Lovegood, Severus Snape (from harry potter) The baudelaire orphans (A Series Of Unfortunate Events).
7. What kind of games do you play? Videogames? Tabletop? Wargames?
I love to play the Sims and Tomb Raider, these are my absolute favoriter games. I have played them since I was a kid, I think I will never get tired of them.
8. What conventions do you attend? Have you guested/spoken on panels/competed in contests?
My first Contest was at RolePlayConvention in 2017, and I was at the GamesCom Blizzard Contest.
April I will be at Poly Manga Montreux.
9. What projects are you working on in the future?
I will do the black wizard from Dekaron and maybe something from aion (a gladiator) I normally try to make 2 cosplays in 6 months. A big one and a smaller one. But it seems like my next ones will be just big beasts.
10. What conventions are you attending this next season?
these are my plans so far.. I may add some dates but I’m not sure at the moment.
11. Who are your cosplay inspirations? Whose work do you admire or aspire to?
Kamui Cosplay is the absolute Worbla Queen. Inastes Tears my best friend and her work is breathtaking
12. What are your favorite movies/shows to watch or music to listen to while you craft?
Harry Potter, Lost and Rupauls Drag Race haha (this tv show is amazing ! ) Its so funny
everybody should watch it.. do it .. you wont regret it.
Sindragosa, World of Warcraft Photographer: A.Z.Production Cosplay Photography (https://www.facebook.com/azproductioncosp) Cosplayer: Shadow Border Cosplay (https://www.facebook.com/Shadowbordercos/)
13. What message do you have for people wanting to break into cosplay? What have you learned in your time working in Cosplay?
You need a thick skin to be a cosplayer cause sometimes comminity can be hard.. But it is worth it.. and all you need is passion and love and keep in your head that you do it for you. Watch many tutorials and try hard, VERY HARD, and maybe you will never be 100% lucky with something you work on… but you can keep that, turn it into strength and become better with every time you heat up the worbla und put it on you!
And dont compare with others .. its just yours <3
14. What are your social media/website links? Where can we find you?
~Join us next week for more Cosplay! Coverage~
Have a Cosplay question you would like Mayhem’s Muse to answer? Send email here!