I only get so much space per week, so I’m finishing this one out with a round up – tone deaf news from the Academy, Sony’s ever stranger use of its Spiderverse licenses, the fate of Chris Pratt’s Cowboy Ninja Viking, along with other rumors and announcements.
The Oscars have added a category for “popular film” because they can’t just add comic book movies to their best picture nominees, but want to stay relevant. This change hasn’t been well received. Better suggestions for new categories: best stunt coordination, best voice performance, best casting, and best mocap performance. All of them give popular movies another avenue to win a golden statue without dumbing the whole thing down.
Sony has a bunch of casting news and some movie announcements involving the Marvel IP they have. A list:
- Jared Leto is playing Morbius and Martine Bancroft may be the female lead character
- They are aiming for a PG-13 rating for Venom
- Vin Diesel is playing Bloodshot
- Guy Pearce is playing the bad guy in Bloodshot
- Silver and Black will be split into two movies
- They are making a Kraven the Hunter movie – written by Richard Wenk (The Expendables)
New Predator TV Spot:
Chris Pratt’s Cowboy Ninja Viking is not happening, sorry.
There are rumors that Idris Elba is being considered for the role of James Bond.
New look at the next season of Voltron on Netflix:
A handy list of Marvel and DC news:
- Ruby Rose has been cast as Batwoman on the CW
- Samuel L. Jackson will be in the news Spider-Man movie
- It is very likely that Black Mask will be the villain in Birds of Prey
- The WB is working on a Supergirl movie
- James Gunn’s involvement in GoG 3 and Marvel in general is still up in the air
- DC is still making The Batman with director Matt Reeves (Cloverfield)
- Joivan Wade is playing Cyborg in Doom Patrol on DC’s streaming service
New teaser for AHS – Apocalypse:
This has been your round up – now, go out and see The Meg this weekend and have some fun.