Jared Leto’s Joker is taking shape…. come take a look and listen!
The more screen time he gets the more the inspirations for Leto’s Joker emerge. The most recent TV spot gives us some more dialog…
It feels like he’s going for a mash of his predecessors – both live action and animated. In past trailers it’s pretty clear he’s trying to reach Mark Hamill’s signature laugh and is stealing more than a bit of Jack Nicholson’s smarmy James Cagney tribute; and in this he’s definitely taking cues from Ledger’s sociopathic performance… I’m not really sure what to think of it. It’s not bad… but… it’s odd.
In other news: the movie got a confirmed PG-13 rating for “sequences of violence and action throughout, disturbing behavior, suggestive content and language” earlier this month. Not surprising. No word on if it’ll get an R-rated bluray release.
Warner Brothers is doing a big push for the movie at SDCC next month – if you’re attending this is what you have to look forward to:
- Fans are invited to enter DC All Access’s (DCAA) “Suicide Squad” online Cosplay Contest starting Thursday, June 9, with their best Squad-inspired look as Deadshot, the Joker, Harley Quinn, Colonel Rick Flag, Amanda Waller, Captain Boomerang, Diablo, Killer Croc, Enchantress, Slipknot or Katana.
- Eleven winners, selected by visitors to the site, will then receive an all-expenses-paid trip for four days and three nights to San Diego and passes to the Con, where they will take part in a range of Warner Bros.’ “Suicide Squad” activities throughout the weekend.
- Details are now on www.dccomics.com/squadup, Twitter and Instagram.
BUST INTO BELLE REVE!
- Every day of the Con, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., have an immersive “Suicide Squad” experience when we transform 6000 square feet of San Diego’s Hard Rock Hotel into the infamous Belle Reve penitentiary—the very place where the “worst of the worst” were incarcerated before forming the Suicide Squad.
- Take part in a live-action virtual reality experience, fighting alongside Squad members in a scene from the film.
- Get your own “Suicide Squad” skull “ink” at Harley Quinn’s tattoo parlor.
- Take photo ops in a re-creation of one of Belle Reve’s jail cells.
GET UP CLOSE WITH THE “SUICIDE SQUAD”
- Catch “Suicide Squad” talent as part of the big Warner Bros. Pictures’ exclusive presentation in Hall H, additional details of which are forthcoming, and connect with them directly at the DC booth, where stars of the film will meet fans and sign movie posters.
- The cast will also make a special ensemble appearance on Saturday, July 23, to tape “CONAN,” which will air that evening at 11 p.m. ET/PT on TBS.
I’m really, really hoping this isn’t as disappointing as the summer offerings we’ve gotten so far. There’s been a lot of promise and a lot of failure.
Are you ready to give the DCU another shot?