How did your favorite Legion’s rules fare in Forge World’s latest Horus Heresy update?
The Horus Heresy Age of Darkness Legions Red Book contains rules for 13 Legions, it’s a big resource. Some people already have this book but I want to go over the changes and why you might want to consider buying it. First off, this is in a smaller, codex size, versus the huge campaign books.
It’s got the good-looking graphics and the silver leaf foil. I’m not going to do a deep dive in but I’m going to go over the new things. If you don’t have it, this is an auto-buy IMHO.
30k hobby superstar Garro has compiled this list of new changes to the 13 legions contained in this book.
- All models with the LA rule gain +1 initiative on the charge.
- Sonic Shriekers are now -1WS to enemy models in base contact which aren’t immune to fear. Affects the full length of the combat (not just first round), not just if you charge.
- Phoenix Terminators are WS5
- Phoenix Terminator Sergeant now have 3 attacks
- The Cacophony weapons are heavy2, previously heavy1
- Iron Circle added, elites choice, single unit can be taken as a command squad to Perturabo. said unit gains a minor buff of their choice from a list.
- Tyrant Seige Terminator squads now heavy support choices
- Iron Havocs are BS5
- Phalanx Warder squads ‘shield wall’ rule fixed, now confers +1WS instead of +1I.
- Dorn’s chainsaw has ‘unwieldy’ replaced with ‘reaping blow’ (see DG section)
- ‘From the Shadows’ confers 5+ cover save, use to be 6+
- ‘Talent for Murder’ confers +1 to hit and wound, use to be just to wound
- Terror Squads gain ‘precision strike’
- Sevatar has his additional psyker rules from the FAQ added to his profile, also gains precision strike
- no changes
- ‘Blood Lust’ is now on a 4+ rather than a roll of a 1.
- ‘Incarnate Violence’ replaced with may re-roll 1’s to wound on the turn they charge
- no changes
- May re-roll dangerous terrain tests, regardless of what the terrain is.
- Instead of forcing successful rolls to wound with poison and fleshbane, DG get FNP(4+) instead
- Power scythes lose unwieldy and the ability to replace attack value with number of enemy models in base contact with the following ‘reaping blow’: -1 initiative, if in base contact with more than one model at their initiative step, they gain +1 attack
- Grave Warden toxin rule replaced with ‘poison(3+)’ on death cloud and grenade launcher
- Deathshroud can be taken as a HQ or elites choice, plus as a command squad for a Terminator Praetor or Mortarion.
- Mortarion’s scythe is no longer unwieldy, replaced with ‘reaping blow’.
- Mortarion’s witch spite only affects malediction powers affecting him or his squad
Sons of Horus
- Gain ‘Death Dealer’ to their legiones astartes rule, +1BS if shooting at an enemy within 12″ with a pistol, rapid fire or assault weapon, doesn’t effect snap fire, overwatch or fury of the legion shots.
- Justearins Terminators start off at 255pts for 5 men, may still take upto 7 additional men. They now have 2 wounds
- Abaddon has precision strike
- rules unchanged from Tempest
- no changes found
- Mor Deythan are 10pts more expensive at base cost (additional men are still same price)
- All Dark Furies have raven talons by default, no price increase
- Dark Fury sergeant gains ‘precision strike’
- Kaedes Nex gains precision shots
Alpha Legion (or are they?)
- Saboteur’s sabotage attack now AP3 against things with a toughness value, and AP2 against vehicles
- Saboteur can no longer take a jump pack
- Headhunters come with combi-bolters as standard, may upgrade them to combi-weapons for the same cost as terminators can.
- Headhunters replace ‘preferred enemy’ with ‘precision shots’
Hopefully, if you’re a Heresy player this helped out some with your legion. Now if you play Dark Angels, Blood Angels, White Scars, Wolves or T-Sons you’ll be waiting awhile for a red book compilation. However the first three legions I just mentioned are currently available in Book VI: Retribution