40K Lore: Daemon-Princes of Chaos
Speak softly loremasters – for today we speak of the damned – the daemon-princes of the primordial annihilator.
Daemon Princes are former mortal Champions of Chaos who have been elevated to daemonhood by the Gods of Chaos. They have bartered their humanity for unearthly power and immortality.
The Nature of Daemon Princes
In order to attract the attention of their patrons, Chaos Champions have to perform great and terrible deeds. They sacrifice enemies and allies alike for their ambitions and risk their demise at the hands of both their foes and gods. The few that manage to avoid death and spawndom are changed beyond recognition.
While Daemon Princes come in various shapes, most are of hulking stature, displaying numerous mutations such as horns and wings. Even more notable are the supernatural powers they wield, some of which are associated with their patron god. What they maintain of former selves are the driving ambition and ruthless cunning which helped them earn their ultimate reward.
In the 41st millennium, most Daemon Princes hail from the ranks of the Chaos Space Marines, warriors with the capability and motivation to slay the populations of entire worlds, although the oldest managed to ascend during the savage age long before mankind left ancient Earth.
Daemon Princes rule supreme over mortal Chaos followers and are usually granted reign over a Daemon World of their own. Despite this, it is not uncommon for them to leave the material plane completely and join a daemonic legion in order to serve as right hand of a mighty Greater Daemon or even as that daemons commander. For all their rank and power however, real Daemons commonly regard them as inferior due to their human origin, a belief that is very rarely proven, as many Princes have slain powerful Daemons long before joining their immortal ranks.
Daemon Primarchs – the Princes of Chaos
The most infamous of the Daemon Princes come from the traitor Primarchs that turned against the Emperor during the Horus Heresy. These powerful beings are still revered by the very Legions they corrupted millennia ago, even though it is uncommon for them to personally lead them forth from their Daemon Worlds. Instead they prefer to fight against their enemies within the Eye of Terror, leaving the direction of their Legions to their loyal minions and Champions. Arguably greater in power than any other Daemon Prince or Greater Daemon, they are feared and respected by all who worship chaos and are looked upon as personal champions by their gods.
Daemon Princes of Note
- Angron – Primarch of the World Eaters
- Barban Falk – Warsmith of the Iron Warriors, ascended to daemonhood after conquering the planet of Hydra Cordatus
- Be’lakor – The first Daemon Prince
- Bubonicus – ancient servant of Nurgle
- Doombreed – ancient servant of Khorne
- Fulgrim – Primarch of the Emperor’s Children
- Ghargatuloth – Daemon prince of Tzeentch. Known as the “Prince of a Thousand Faces”
- Kernax Voldorius – Strikemaster of the Alpha Legion
- Kor Megron – Daemon Prince of the Word Bearers. Ascended to daemonhood on Rhodax
- Lorgar – Primarch of the Word Bearers
- Magnus the Red – Primarch of the Thousand Sons
- Mamon – Daemon Prince of Nurgle known as the “Arch-corrupter” of Vraks
- M’kar – Formerly Maloq Kartho, a Dark Apostle of the Word Bearers Traitor Legion; ascended to Daemonhood after being slain by Remus Ventanus during the Word Bearers’ surprise attack on Calth, during the Horus Heresy
- Mortarion – Primarch of the Death Guard
- Nemeroth – Sorcerer-Lord of the Chosen of Nemeroth Warband. Ascended to Daemonhood on Graia before fighting Captain Titus of the Ultramarines
- Perturabo – Primarch of the Iron Warriors
- Sindri Myr – Sorcerer of the Alpha Legion and advisor of Lord Bale. Ascended to daemonhood by using the Maledictum
- Tallomin – the “Prince of Daemon Princes”
- Uraka Az’baramael – ancient servant of Khorne
See A Full Listing of Daemon Princes
~Who is your favorite Daemon Prince?