D&D: New Spells in Xanathar’s Guide to Everything
Xanathar’s Guide to Everything features a ton of new spells–power up your play!
Xanathar’s Guide to Everything presents a plethora of new spells for spellcasters of all classes and masses, if you’re turning foes to ashes with flashes of fire and brimstone, this book has something for you.
Real quick, here’s a compiled list of what gets talked about in the video:
- Conjure a druid’s grove
- Conjure a mighty fortress that lasts multiple days (from the spell list preview, this would be… Mighty Fortress, 8th level conjuration)
- Ceremony and Toll the Dead made the cut from those UA Spells
- Demons and Devils can now be summoned,
- Infernal Calling summons Devils which can be bargained with.
- Summoned Demons may be uncontrollable (as seen in the Old Black Magic UA)
- More energy options–things like psychic and radiant damage get more variety
- Find Greater Steed for Paladins
- Create Homonculus lets you create a homonculus that you can send out, see through its eyes, give it stove of your HP, creepy but also compatible with familiars.
- Elemental Evil spells are reprinted here
- Some have been revised and/or are accessible by more classes. Some revisions are for clarification but a few are to enhance/improve the spells.
- Crown of Stars; sounds like higher-level Melf’s Meteors
- Danse Macabre is a “fast version of Animate Dead” – raise corpses during a fight, concentration. If concentration ends the undead become inanimate. Warlocks have access, so do Wizards (5th level necromancy)
- Spells for Eldritch Knight, Blade Pact Warlocks and other melee casters have a home here, things like Zephyr Strike, Shadow Blade.
Anyway, that’s just a taste. I’m real glad to see as many non combat spells as we have. Ceremony in particular was a really cool concept, and it feels like WotC wants you to be able to have those big story moments, and even to make them a codified part of the game.
Revised Elemental Evil spells also is incredibly appealing–those spells changed the way you play certain casters, so I am chomping at the bit to see how that changes the game.
Xanathar’s Guide releases un select stores November 10th.