RPG: John Carter of Mars – A Roleplaying Game From Modiphius
Come take a look at the new John Carter of Mars roleplaying game, Modiphius’ new game that takes you inside the world of the Barsoom Saga.
David Bowie once asked if there was life on Mars, and the answer has come back a resounding yes. At least from the likes of Edgar Rice Burroughs, who went on to detail two different warring factions vying for control over Mars, or the folks at Modiphius, who are bringing you a roleplaying game set in the world of Barsoom. And as part of the rollout, Modiphius is showing off their new game, as well as introducing folks who hadn’t heard of this rich, vibrant version of Mars before. Come see a world of swords and spears and aliens–come see why they call it planetary Romance.
John Carter of Mars – Adventures on The Dying World of Barsoom is a planetary romance tabletop role-playing game. We’ve created it in under license and with the cooperation of the estate of Edgar Rice Burroughs, author of the original Barsoom novels and with the guidance of Scott Tracy Griffin one of the leading scholars of his works to ensure utmost authenticity. Using a pulp-action inspired lite variant of Modiphius’ 2d20 system called Momentum, John Carter of Mars allows players to take the role of various adventurers and heroes as they travel, battle, and romance their way across the a wondrous and dangerous world known to its natives as Barsoom. Play as John Carter, the princess Dejah Thoris, the fearsome Thark Tars Tarkas or you can create your own new heroes from a wide variety of options.
Included in this book are:
- An overview of Burrough’s Barsoom and its peoples, perfect to introduce new players to the wondrous world of John Carter of Mars.
- Detailed chapters on technology, creatures, and various cultures.
- A new skillless Talent focused variation of the 2d20 system, including a step by step character generation system designed to make heroes from a variety of backgrounds and concepts. Choose a wide variety of characters such as a dashing Red Martian duelist, a brilliant First Born scientist, a savage Beastmaster, a courageous airship officer, a disciplined assassin, or even Earthborn characters, so players can follow in the bounding footsteps of John Carter himself!
- A detailed Narrator’s section with information on how to run genre and setting appropriate games and campaigns, including information about the great secrets of Barsoom.
- Three eras of play based on the adventures of John Carter himself. Play during the early days of Dotar Sojat, adventure during the time when Carter was a Prince of Helium and in the years after when he was believed dead, or fight alongside Carter and his allies during the later Jeddak of Jeddaks era.
- An introductory adventure, the Mind Merchants of Mars, to get players and Narrators started on their adventures.