Warhammer 40K Retro: Birth of the Chaos Legions
Today we look back over 20 years the look back at 1996’s Codex Chaos. Witness the original unified Chaos forces with traitor legions, heretics & daemons!
Enjoy your time machine to the era of early tabletop awesomeness. Today, we take you back to the heady days of Warhammer 40,000 2nd Edition, and the origin of many of the original Chaos villains – some still with us today and other lost to the mists of time. In particular we get a look at the early formative Chaos Traitor Legions bach when there were still new and unformed.
Codex Chaos 101
The 2nd Edition Chaos Codex is also a good example of the “everything AND the kitchen sink” approach to codex design that GW commonly used in those early days.
Take a look at this early artwork of some of the original Traitor Legion designs.
This was a grand unified book that incorporated the traitor marines, daemons and mortal heretics of the Ruinous powers – long before GW split them into separate books. Now kick back grab a cup o joe and enjoy your guided tour.
Look at all the stuff GW crammed into this puppy – IN 1996!
- The Horus Heresy
- The Traitor Legions
- The Long War
- The First Battle For Armageddon
- The Tyrant Of Badab
- Chaos Space Marines
- The Marks Of Chaos
- The Eye Of Terror
- The Battle For Purgatory (Multi-part fiction continuing throughout the Codex)
- Daemonic Creatures
- Chaos Wargear
- The Weaponry Of Chaos
Chaos Special Characters
(note the named Daemon Princes)
- Abaddon the Despoiler, Warmaster of Chaos
- Khârn the Betrayer
- Fabius Bile
- Huron Blackheart, Master of the Red Corsairs, Lord of the Maelstrom, The Blood Reaver
- Doombreed, Daemon Prince of Khorne
- N’Kari, Daemon Prince of Slaanesh
- Foulspawn, Daemon Prince of Nurgle
- M’Kachan, Daemon Prince of Tzeentch
- Cypher, Fallen Dark Angel Champion
~ Who’s still got their copy lying around and what is your favorite bit of early 40K craziness?