RPG: Explore The Gamma Quadrant
The far side of the galaxy is full of danger–the Dominion and the spectre of war lurk just beyond a stable wormhole. What awaits you in the Gamma Quadrant?
Star Trek Adventures, if you’ve never played it, is Modiphius’ excellent foray into the world of the United Federation of Planets and its assorted allies, enemies, associates, and miscellany. It’s a game that is perfectly adaptable to pretty much any style of play you like, from the more clandestine stealth missions that you might find in Season 5 and 6 of The Next Generation, to the weird scientific puzzles you might find in Seasons 2 and 3 of The Next Generation.
Using Modiphius’ 2d20 engine, Star Trek Adventures represents a wide spectrum of adventuring possibility. The game embraces the modern descriptive/combat design, sharing elements with systems like FATE or Mechnoir, where you need to apply descriptive attributes or advantages to a scene in order to reshape the world in clever ways, while you also shoot phasers at everything.
The Gamma Quadrant Sourcebook takes players inside the section of the galaxy introduced in Deep Space Nine, venturing through the Wormhole and into the Dominion’s home ground. This book moves the Living Timeline forward to the 2374 era, when the war with the Dominion hit its peak–which is also about when DS9 got really really good. Inside the book you’ll find a comprehensive guide to the Gamma Quadrant, including a chapter on the various Species and Starships of the sector for new players to take on, and for GMs, a chapter on Encounters and Adversaries.
The book, like the Quadrant, is defined by the Dominion. There’s no escaping that, but that’s what makes the Gamma Quadrant unique. You can explore around the fringes of the Wormhole and probably not worry too much about it, but keep pushing forward and you’ll find more and more Dominion species and territory. You’ll get a look at what life is like in the Dominion from all angles, from the perspective of beneficiaries like the Vorta and the Founders, to conquered species like the Karemma and the Dosi.
This is where the book really shines–it presents the world of the Gamma Quadrant, not just as a single unified enemy, but as a rich, diverse culture all sort of wrapped up under the Dominion of a bunch of Changelings who will stop at nothing to control their various member species. You’ll find some impressive Starships, cool Encounters, and everything you need to ratchet up tension in your campaign. This book is a little darker, a little more morally grey, and is well worth it for any Star Trek fan, or campaign bending that way. Take a walk on the darker side of things, and check out the Gamma Quadrant Sourcebook today.
The Gamma Quadrant Sourcebook provides Gamemasters and Players with a wealth of information to aid in playing characters or running adventures set within the ever-expanding Star Trek universe. The Gamma Quadrant Sourcebook contains:
- Information on the Federation’s relationship with the Dominion and other Gamma Quadrant denizens, as of 2375.
- Material about the Dominion and its history, structure, and culture; including information on many of its member worlds, allies, and enemies.
- Detailed information about the brutal Dominion War, from its beginnings as a cold war to open conflict involving billions of beings.
- A dozen new alien species to choose from during character creation, including the Dosi, Lurians, S’ona, Wadi, and the Changelings!
- A selection of starships from the Dominion and S’ona, as well as several notable wartime Federation vessels.
- Guidance for the Gamemaster on running missions and continuing voyages in the Gamma Quadrant and on the front line, along with a selection of new Non-Player Characters to enhance encounters.
This book requires the Star Trek Adventures Core Rulebook to use. You will receive a complimentary PDF on completion of purchase.