MTG: Battle For Baldur’s Gate Teasers, Rosewater Style
Mark Rosewater teases Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur’s Gate in his signature style. Here’s a look at what to expect.
Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur’s Gate will bring D&D back to Magic: the Gathering. This time for Commander. And from some of the leaks we’ve seen, this set is going to be spicy. Which is great if you love justice and hate eyeballs.
At any rate. Mark Rosewater teased some of the upcoming mechanics and cards for the set. Which teasers can you puzzle out? How do they tie in with the leaks we’ve seen so far? Let’s take a look.
The first batch of teasers is pretty straightforward:
- a returning mechanic that feels apropos for D&D makes use of a new card type
- a card capable of making an Ox, Boar, or Goat
- the word “seven” appears on two cards and the word “nine” appears on one
- a new legendary colorless artifact token named Volo’s Journal
- a 10/10 creature with flying and trample that you can cast for G
- a lord for Demons, Devils, Imps, and Tieflings
- the character we got a lot of complaints about not being in Adventures in the Forgotten Realms gets a card
- three legendary creatures that are Gods
- a card that enhances all creatures with mana abilities
- a spell that can copy something X times
But already there are a few places where these tie in with the leaked cards:
There’s Nine-Fingers Keene, for instance, who has “nine” right there on his card.
And here’s a Lord for Devils, Imps, Demons, and Tieflings in the form of Raphael, Fiendish Savior.
We’re doing pretty good so far, those leaks appear to be genuine.
Rules Text Teasers
What about rules text? Here are a few rules you can look forward to exploiting:
- “This spell costs 1 less to cast for each opponent you’re attacking.”
- “That artifact becomes a 0/0 Homunculus artifact creature with flying.”
- “Whenever you cast a spell you don’t own,”
- “If you control neither creature, draw three cards.”
- “you don’t lose the game for having 0 or less life.”
- “Tokens you control have ‘T:”
- “Then choose a third player”
- “where X is the total mana value of Dragons you control.”
- “put a number of time counters on it equal to its mana value.”
- “you may cast your commander from the command zone without paying its mana cost.”
And finally, my favorite, a list of Legendary Creature type lines in the set:
- Halfling Knight
- Tiefling Barbarian
- Gith Warrior
- Dragon Peasant
- Vampire Elf Rogue
- Bear Warrior
- Devil Noble
- Human Boar
- Cat Devil
- Elephant Angel
Again, as you can see, these line up pretty nicely with some of the leaked cards.
So get ready to Battle for Baldur’s Gate