Get on your firegear – it’s going to be HOT on here. The Age of Sigmar minis have been sighted and here are our 1st Impressions.
First of all, let’s get some basics out of the way: Atia says this:
“Age of Sigmar Starter: Battle for the Gates of Azyr, Warriors of the God King vs Khorne, snap fit models, some of them are twice in the box”
I’m going to list off a big set of thoughts in no particular order:
1) It’s all round bases (or ovals for the big guys) – say goodbye to square folks. At this point after all the leaks, hints, pics from Warhammer World, it should be a surprise to no one.
2) It sounds like it picks up right after the end times. Listen to this quote: “The warriors of the God-King, unleashed upon shafts of magical lightning, have arrived in the Mortal Realsms, striking the first blow in a war of vengeance” The first step in the God-King’s invasion is to open the Realmgames once more.”
3) If you recall, there were rumors for months of an all new “heavily armored army of men” that were supposed to be the WFB equivalent of Space Marines. Well here they are.
4) The Forces of the God-King are in interesting aesthetic. Those look to be bigger than a marine and smaller than a terminator.
5) Aesthetically – the design of the God-King’s forces draw from Blood Angels (Sanguinary guard), Mantic Basileans, Adeptus Custodes, classical Greek & Roman designs, and even a smidge of Warmachine Cygnar mixed in – also HAMMERTIME!
6) The Chaos forces seem much closer to the current Warriors of Chaos WFB range. If anything the main differences are an increase in these “Shirtless blood farmers of Khorne” types who sit at the halfway point between the Marauders and Chaos Warriors. The Khorne Skullreapers/Wrathmongers models releases in the End Times:Archaon book fit right in and were clearly harbingers of what was to come.
7) On all of these miniatures, GW has cranked up the level of detail. Note the complex musculature on the “cultists” from the Khorne side, then look at the “detail on every square centimeter” of the fully armored Khorne warriors/warlord. Also note the intricate details on both side’s standard bearers. GW has definitely pulled out the stops on the technical detail of these kits. They are clearly pushing the limits of injection molded plastic, aiming to impress potential customers with these minis. These minis are said to be “easy assembly” starter set type of minis. If so, the technical design is even more impressive.
8) On the God-King’s side it looks completely different from anything WFB mortals had before. This is effectively an entirely new range that completely breaks from the past. We are very, very long way from the Empire & Bretonnia here.
9) The fluff in this product is also described as being all new, with all new battles, campaigns and histories. It would appear that GW did indeed blow up the Old World, threw the important people through a Deus ex machina portal and are picking up the pieces with Age of Sigmar.
10) The existing WFB community is going to have a system shock to deal with this, but some points to consider. As we have seen a million times, we need to wait to see these minis in the round. How many times have we found minis to look so much more stunning in the round. Additionally, note that Age of Sigmar is clearly an introductory game and not the “FULL GAME” that a 9th Edition rulebook would be. Many have said that that product is coming quickly on it’s heels, so gamers should not rush to judge a limited scope introductory product by comparing it to something it was never meant to be.
Just breathe people. Time will tell. The only thing constant in the universe is indeed… change.
Also this will make you smile!
Do you think this product has the legs to revive WFB?