All Hail Fortifications! Here’s a rundown of some of the best characters you can stick on your Emplaced Quadguns and Icarus Lascannons.
1) Sergeant Telion – He’s not terribly expensive, BS:6, always picks his targets with Eye of Vengeance, and is hard to shift with that improved cover.
2) Brother Corbulo – He’s cheap, BS:5, grants Feel No Pain to a squad near him, and gets that Red Grail reroll to mess with opponents. Not bad to stick on the guns.
3) Haemonculus Ancient – A budget BS:5 choice that can be hard to shift with Feel No Pain, and ignores nightfighting. Plus he has lots of interesting goodies you can equip him with.
4) Shas’O – BS:5 and 4 wounds is about the best the Tau can do with an emplaced gun. He can also ignore nightfighting entirely with a blacksunfilter, making that Icarus lascannon’s 96″ range extra nasty.
5) Vindicare Assassin – BS:8 combined with Interceptor and Skyfire is just wrong. Deadshot means he can always pick his target models as the extra cherry on top.
6) Lord Commissar – BS:5 and Stubborn plus a LD:10 aura make him hard to shift. Just the man to anchor your Imperial Guard defensive lines.
7) MARBO!!! – BS:5 plus stealth makes him hard to shift. He’s Behind You! means he can hop onto any ummanned gun on the table, or clean out an enemy occupied one with his demo charge first.
8) Fire Dragon Exarch – BS:5 combined with Crack Shot (no cover saves) and Tank Hunters (reroll failed penetrations). Take the Icarus for sniping heavy armor with only the tiniest sliver in sight, or the Quadgun to make flyers weep.
9) Dark Reaper Exarch – We saved the best for last. BS:5 and Crackshot is nasty enough. Fast shot (adds an extra shot to any weapon) makes an Icarus a Heavy 2 monster of a weapon. Luckily he can’t use both powers at once (the Dragon Exarch can), but he is quite the Swiss Army Knife of emplaced weapons.
10) Tyranid Prime – He’s cheap, only BS:4, and unfortunately thinks Quadguns and Icarus’ taste like daily vitamins -nom-nom-nom… 🙂
~Good luck out there soldiers! Who are you putting on the guns?