EDITORIAL: In Praise of GW
- They’re not afraid to take risks. GW followed their instincts and gave us a bold new edition that offered their players the power to control their own game as well as bring ALL of their models into play: Super Heavies, Forge World, etc. That is pretty ballsy, and I respect the moxy that that decision took.
- A modular expansion system. One of the problems any game faces that survives into maturity, is how to consistently grow? It’s not as easy as some may think, and GW’s new system of having Factions instead of a Codex system is just genius. It allows them expand their game and universe through different media and allows us to constantly add to our existing armies without having to wait for a new book. It also fixes the silly arguments over what is “official” or not. If it’s in your Faction, you can use it. Nice! Things like Formations, special characters in White Dwarf, or supplement books, etc. are super fun and keep us engaged.
- Amazing models. This often gets forgotten as we are so used to GW leading the pack in model design that it gets taken for granted. Now, there are some other companies that make stunning models, no doubt, but in terms of breadth of offerings, consistent quality of design, beauty of the product, and intricacy of the kits, GW is peerless in the tabletop gaming world and they keep getting better.
- Setting. Who can argue that the 40K universe is not one of the coolest SciFi settings for a minis game? It is just a huge, engaging, awesome universe for a game like this to exist in. While it may not be the most sophisticated SciFi universe; it isn’t trying to be. But it is fun, exciting and I have enjoyed exploring it for many, many years.
- Industry leading and innovating. Even in the depths of nerd rage and GW bashing, remember, that this industry is what it is in no small part to GW. They have helped to create the market, drive the recruitment of new hobbyists, and innovate. GW bolsters the entire industry and their success helps to bring more business to other companies in the industry.
- Community. This isn’t a direct result of GW’s efforts, but their product is what has brought us together and I have had a great number of fulfilling friendships, fun road trips all around the country, and some great memories as a result of this silly hobby of ours and for that, I am extremely grateful. It lead to us starting our gaming events that largely revolve around GW games, the Bay Area Open and the Las Vegas Open which have become really cool events that bring gamers from all over the world together and of which we are very proud.
- Excellent Customer Service. Seriously, GW kicks ass in the customer service department. I have never had an issue with that that has not been satisfactorily resolved in a friendly, professional manner.
Lastly, we have to plug our F.A.T. Mat Outrider Program, which gives you the chance to earn a free F.A.T. Mat! Follow the link for more details. Also, if you are going to the NOVA Open you can purchase a F.A.T. Mat to be picked up at the event through their web-cart! It will save you money on shipping and help to support their event.