Welcome back for the second instalment of Tactica: Khorne Daemonkin! Today we learn all about mastering Flesh Hounds!
Brought to you by Blog for the Blood God
In this instalment I will be sharing a tactical breakdown of one of my personal favourite units, the Flesh Hounds and also a little trick you can use to really piss your opponent off and ruin his plans! but first…
Release the Hounds!
Weapon Skill 5
Ballistic Skill 0 which is irrelevant as they ain’t got no guns!
Strength 4 + 1 for furious charge
Attacks 2 base + 1 on the charge plus the possibility of +1 from Blood Tithe plus the possibility of Hammer of Wrath if taken in their formation, The Gorepack
Leadership 7 Plus Fearless
Save 6+ armor, 5++ invulnerable plus the possibility of Feel no Pain from the Blood Tithe
Type Beast cost 16 points per hound (min squad of 5 max squad of 20)
Special Rules. Scout, furious charge, Deep Strike, Fearless and Blood for the Blood God
The Flesh hounds are a very versatile unit, a squad of 5 can put out up to 20 Strength 5 attacks for only 80 points, this can do amazing things against all sorts of targets,
- It will reliably take 4 hull points off any vehicle with rear armor 10 (20 attacks, hits on 3+ so 13 hits, glances on a 5+ so 4 glancing hits)
- It will reliably take 4 casualties off a Marine Equivalent unit (Hammer of wrath gives you 5 Auto hits, wounds on 4+ so 2.5 wounds saved on a 3+ so 1 Casualty) + (20 attacks, hits on 3+ so 13 hits, wounds on a 3+ so 9 Wounds, saved on a 3+ so 3 casualties)
- It can hurt anything up to toughness 8 or rear armor 11 and will obliterate anything weaker than Marine Equivalent.
All of that for a 80 point unit! but the funny thing is their damage output is not where their strength lies! They bring a few other handy tricks that I am sure you will love!
- Scout on a unit with a 12″ move is a massive boost as more often than not this will mean you can be in your opponents deployment zone in turn 1! Loyalists can keep their drop pods! we have hounds! Also do not forget if you join an Independent character to the hounds he will gain the benefit from scout! Chuck a Lord on a Juggernaut and get him in your opponents face turn one! No mishaps! No delays! Reliable and fast distribution of serious power! Also as they no longer have Daemonic Instability you can attach non daemon characters with no restrictions!
- MSU! the fact hounds can be taken as 80 point units of 5 in a formation means they will not be taking up your fast attack slots, freeing up room for Heldrakes and Spawn, and you can take as many of these formations as you want!
- You can get them for free by expending 5 Blood Tithe Points, this is preferable to the Bloodletters in my opinion as their speed will make up for the late game arrival.
- 50mm diameter base, this is new to Codex Khorne Daemonkin and is a massive boost, it allows your models to spread out further and create a much larger footprint, protecting you from blasts and templates as well as making the Hound Wall much much easier to achieve! what is a hound wall? this is!
The Hound Wall
The Hound Wall is a Flesh Hounds tactic that was contributed by Josh Helton on my facebook page. If you want to contribute like Josh just head over to Blog for the Blood God. This tactic is a fantastic way to deny your opponent movement early in the game.
It requires at least 20 Flesh Hounds, when deploying run a wall of Hounds all the way across the front of your deployment zone, with 50mm bases 20 hounds can cover a 6×4 table easily. Now use thier scout move to push the wall forward 12″, this should put you in the center of the table, now if you were lucky enough to get turn 1 move a further 12″ forward putting you on the edge of thier deployment, then make a run move to get deeper into their deployment zone. If you have taken 4 units of 5 that means your opponent now has 4 units that he has to deal with before he can move as he cannot move within 1″ of an enemy and your hounds have created a wall to block his movement!
The Hound Wall will severely cripple your opponents ability to claim objectives early in the game and take up firing positions, it also means it will take an extra turn or two before his units can get to your side of the table. It obviously does not work against all lists, jump packs, deep strikes and vehicles will all deny this tactic but general infantry will not be able to move forward until they deal with your hound wall.
Survival of the slowest?
As with all multi wound models make sure if one is wounded but not killed that you allow that model to sink to the back of the pack (or somewhere in the middle) this way the next round of damage will go on unwounded hounds and will make your unit last up to twice as long! just look out for anything Strength 8 or higher as it will inflict instant death… in that case… sacrifice the wounded pup.
Save The Warlord
For good measure I am going to chuck in this extra little trick that will burst your opponents bubble when they think they have Slay The Warlord in the bag 🙂
This one can be difficult to pull off as it requires perfect timing but if you manage to pull it off it can deny your opponent the Slay the Warlord secondary objective. Start by taking a Chaos Lord, you can equip him however you want but for this tactic to work you need lots of blood tithe, so the Blade of Endless Bloodshed is handy.. the tactic has a very simple principle, get your warlord into combat to do what he does best, then when he is down to a single wound use 7 blood tithe to get the Dark Apotheosis and turn your warlord to a Daemon Prince! Now instead of 1 toughness 4 wound left your lord has 4 x toughness 5 wounds and wings making him safe from combat. And he also keeps the Blade of Endless Bloodshed so he can continue to earn those Blood Tithe Points for you!
Thanks again for tuning in! Make sure you keep your eyes peeled for the next instalment of Tactica: Khorne Daemonkin! and while you are at it head over to Blog for the Blood God, give me a like, and join in on the other great content! Everything from Battle Reports to Hobby Tutorials, Rules discussions and tactics to Animated movies and 40k based comedy (wanna see marines firing bolters to the beat of Fear Factory? lol)
Thank you all for your time!
Dae’vros The Gorehound – Signing out!