40K is getting even MORE flyer rules – and we’ve got the pics to prove it!
Apparently in the next White Dwarf there will be even more rules for Flyers to use in your games… Here come rules for Flyer Aces!
Earlier today the rumormill was spinning up about new flyer rules coming in White Dwarf:
via Archibald_TK 6-20-2016
“Last week “pointy ears” hint was just a reference to a nicely painted Dark Eldar army presented in the WD. Next to that the Ace system in the WD is a 35pts upgrade for any flyer, with a roll on a table for 3 possible results. Similar to the first time it popped up in the old Crusade of Fire book IIRC, but there are rolls for the FMC armies, I’m not sure if that was the case before.
I go from memory here, so mistakes may be made:
– Eldars/Dark Eldars use the same table so that the glorious Craftworlders no longer have to acknowledge their lowly pale peasants cousins as a real independent army!
– SM and BA roll on different tables, yet I’m pretty sure they actually are the same. But it’s okay, they needed to fill space and it’s not like another army could have used it.
– There is a table for “other factions” so if such a thing as a SoB flyer exist you know where to roll.
Tables results I remember:
– Nids (Automatically succeed instinctive behavior or +3″ to synapse range / +1W / if within 12″ of a board edge, can go into ongoing reserves at the beginning of the enemy shooting phase before any shots are fired)
– Daemons (reroll vector strikes that failed to wound or penetrate / +1 W IIRC / +1 invulnerable save compatible with other upgrades)
– CSM (+1 BS / reroll vector strikes like daemons / units within 12″ have… relentless I think? Amusingly while I know the rules in English I sometime have no idea what a rule in my own language is…)
A lot of the tables have +1 BS as their first result. IG/MT can roll a +1 AV to their front armor for some AV13 goodness, Orks also can so that you can upgrade from paper plane to cardboard plane!”
Overall, these all sounded like a solid addition – but now we have visual confirmation:
via Scanner 6-20-2016
Well there you have it folks – Flyer Aces are making a comeback. I like that the rules for applying these bonus rolls are fairly simple; they included points for standard games and rules for campaign play. I think this was a smart move, although I do wish they had these charts included in the Death from the Skies supplement. That said I’m at least excited to see Flyers getting more attention.
What do you think? Which options just out at you?