X-Wing: Rules Puzzler Challenge
Pilots, break out your squad builders and thinking caps– ChahDresh has some puzzlers to tickle your brain cells!
Today’s column is something different. Today we explore the fringes of the X-Wing universe. Today we get some puzzlers!
Answer the following questions, then check below for my answers. All of these questions assume 100-point no-epic squads. Feel free to use your favorite squad builder— you’ll need them for some of the questions!
1) What is the largest number of red dice you can roll in a single attack? (Note: Exclude added results and re-rolls—only physical dice on the initial roll.)
2) What is the largest number of green dice you can roll in one defense? (Same rules as above.)
3) What is the largest number of guaranteed evade results you can achieve in one defense?
4) What is the farthest straight-line distance you can move in one turn, as measured in small ship bases?
5) What is the largest number of degrees a ship can turn in one activation?
6) What is the maximum number of points you can spend on a small ship?
7) What is the maximum number of points you can spend on a large ship?
8) What is the largest possible Final Salvo?
9) What is the maximum number of stress tokens a ship can give itself in one turn?
10) What is the maximum number of focus tokens a 100-point squad can give a single ship in one turn?
Now, here are some pictures to give some distance until the answers.
1) Eight red dice (N’Dru firing a Cruise Missile at speed 4 with Swarm Leader for two: 5+1+2=8)
2) Nine green dice (Talonbane Cobra at range 3 with an Illicit Cloaking Device, Stealth Device, friendly ship with Bodyguard, obscured: 2+2+2+1+1+1=9)
3) A bit of a bait-and-switch: to answer this, ask instead, “What’s the largest number of evade tokens you can take?” And the answer is, “Four evade tokens.” VCX takes evade action, Ahsoka Tano grants a free action, VCX takes a focus and uses Jan Ors crew to turn it into an evade, Experimental Interface into Lando with two evade results—1+1+2=4. (Autothrusters ships with focus, evade, and the Emperor still max out at 3 guaranteed evades.)
4) Fifteen bases (YT-1300 or 2400 doing a 4-ahead covers six bases, Burnout SLAM for six more, Experimental Interface into Leebo for three = 15)
5) 405 degrees (Nien Nunb does a K-turn or T-Roll such that he drops his stress with his pilot ability, Lightning Reflexes, boosts with Primed Thrusters: 180 + 180 + 45 = 405)
6) Miranda Doni with TLT, Advanced Proton Torpedoes x2, Homing Missiles, Shield Upgrade, Sabine Wren, Proton Bombs x3: 29+6+12+5+4+2+15=73 points.
7) RAC, Gunner, Gunner, Hux (for variety), APT, Engine Upgrade, Proton Bombs, Opportunist, Dauntless: 46+15+6+4+5+4+2=82 points. Runner up: YV-666 (79 points)
8) Sixteen red dice (Four Sigma Squadron Pilots with 4 reds each = 16)
9) Eleven stress tokens (G1-A uses Advanced Sensors to Push the Limit (1) before executing a green maneuver, uses Glitterstim (1) and a friendly ship with Wingman sheds the stress, then fires at the Talonbane from answer 2 and uses Zuckuss to force all dice to reroll (9))
10) Nine focus tokens (a YT-1300 or VCX with Recon Specialist, Experimental Interface into Lando with double eyeball results, friendly Kyle Katarn passing a token banked with Moldy Crow and using his action for Jyn Erso for three, friendly Garven Dreis)
~How many did you get? And be sure to tell me if you can beat my answers– I eat this stuff up!