Disney drops its biggest news at the huge fan event, and this year is no different. Take a look at what Disney Studios and Pixar have planned for streaming and theaters.
There are a bunch of new Disney+ titles that are family and tween focused for all of those parents out there. These include a new Lizzie Maguire show with original creator Terri Minsky and Hilary Duff, a High School Musical series, shorts featuring Forky from Toy Story 4, a series that expands on the Monsters Inc. movies, and a Pineas and Ferb movie. The live-action remake of the classic 1955 animated Lady and the Tramp movie will also be exclusive to Disney+.
A new show built around Jeff Goldblum exploring pop culture from all over the world will also be a service exclusive. He’ll be talking to folks from all walks of life that are passionate about various fandoms, fashion, art, music, food, and generally exploring culture in a way only Goldblum can. It looks like a lot of fun. The show is being produced by National Geographic. How can you say no to this?
- Maleficent: Mistress of Evil – The second installment of the evil queen and sleeping beauty back story stars Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning, and Michelle Pfeiffer. Hits theaters October 18th.
- Frozen 2 – More letting go with Idina Menzel, Kristen Bell, Josh Gad, and Jonathan Groff. Hits theaters on November 22.
- Onward (Pixar) – “Two teenage elf brothers, Ian and Barley Lightfoot, go on a journey to discover if there is still a little magic left out there in order to spend one last day with their father, who died when they were too young to remember him.” Starring Chris Pratt and Tom Holland as the two brothers. Hits theaters March 2020.
- Soul (Pixar) – The movie is Jazz themed and “imagines that every person on earth comes pre-installed with a soul formed and perfected in a cosmic realm.” It stars Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Questlove, Phylicia Rashad, and Daveed Diggs with music from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. It will hit theaters June 2020.
- Jungle Cruise – Based on the Disney World ride; Emily Blunt plays a character in search of a tree that has healing powers, she enlists Dwayne Johnson’s character to take her up-river. It’s currently in production and will be in theaters July 2020.
- Raya and the Last Dragon is an animated movie starring Cassandra Steele and Awkwafina. The short animation they showed off at the panel looks awesome – vibrant colors and what looks to be classic rather than 3D animation (no confirmation on that yet). It will be in theaters November 2020.
- Cruella – This one follows a young Cruella de Vil, rumor has it it’s going to have punk inspiration in both look and sound. It stars Emma Stone (who looks killer in the first photo), Paul Walter Hauser, and Joel Fry and will hit theaters March 2021.