GW has done amazing work with the updated Space Marine codexes – and Chaos is a prime candidate to get them next.
The newly updated Marine codex series is very well designed. The concept of a core codex for all common units, alongside a series of supplementals for the special items and characters fixes a lot of items.
- You put all your generic units in one place.
- You simplify FAQS and point updates, by focussing everything through the core codex.
- You can give each chapter special treatment and love in their supplemental.
- It’s easier to errata new units into the core book to give them to all the supplemental armies.
- You can extend the series as far as you want.
Just off the top of my head GW could easily make the following supplementals:
- White Scars
- Raven Guard
- Iron Hands
- Imperial Fists
- Blood Angels
- Dark Angels
- Space Wolves
- Black Templars
- Death Watch (maybe)
- Grey Knights (maybe)
Also, what happened to Legion of the Damned?
Now of course the issue you get with this paradigm is Imperium Inflation – or just too many Marine armies in the game. The obvious recourse is to give the Traitor Marines the same treatment. I would do it exactly the same and make the CSM core codex and the following supplementals:
- Death Guard
- Thousand Sons
- Black Legion
- World Eaters
- Emperor’s Childrem
- Alpha Legion
- Word Bearers
- Iron Warriors
- Night Lords
- Red Corsairs
This format gives them the ability to finally cover all the traitor legions, while keeping the Renegades in the core codex. This would be in effect a grand reboot of the legendary 3.5 CSM codex. I’d be all for it!
~ What do you think of the idea?