D&D: 1st Edition Monsters Get 5th Edition Facelift
The Fiend Folio has long been home to some of D&D’s stranger monsters–now a bunch of 1st Edition creatures are getting a 5th Edition facelift.
In August 1981, the AD&D Fiend Folio brought to D&D an influx of monsters of all shapes and sizes, and more importantly, many of which were designed by players and DMs who had been quietly brewing up their own beasts at home. Indeed, many famous monsters, like the Githyanki and Githzerai, or the Slaad, would have their first introduction to the game in this book–which was assembled in part from White Dwarf’s ‘Fiend Factory’ column.
What was old is new again with the release of a new book from WotC onto the DM’s Guild. Mordenkainen’s Fiendish Folio Volume 1: Monsters Malevolent and Benign, which benefits Extra Life, is an update of eighteen different 1st Edition monsters to 5th Edition rules. You’ll find some of the more obscure monsters from the book in this one, but you’ll also find some underground hits. Let’s take a look at what’s inside.
- Assassin Bug – when you absolutely need a bug that reproduces by implanting eggs into human hosts
- Blindheim – aka laser frog, this monster will blind you with its gaze, and also just laser you
- Crab Folk – sometimes called Yurian, these crabmen give off a predatory air
- Dire Corby – think of it like a really buff Kenku. A bird that got huge and stayed huge
- Eye of Fear and Flame- a one-eyed skeleton that loves Dragonforce
- Forlarren – evil satyrs
- Giant, Fog – a fog giant.
- Jermlaine – gremlins, but someone fed them exactly at midnight
- Khargra – the most underground monster on this list
- Mite – more gremlins, more problems.
- Needlefolk – a plant that looks like it’s rusting. It shoots thorns at you.
- Needle Lord – a needlefolk but with more wealth
- Norker – what if hobgoblins were dwarves?
- Norker war Leader – Same question, but with better armor?
- Screaming Devilkin – a howling good time
- Ygorl – holy cow this is a Slaad lord, the lord of Entropy. This one might pack a punch.
- Xill – insect people but worse than usual
via the DM’s Guild
Crawling from the darkest recesses of D&D’s history comes a ferocious menagerie of monsters malevolent and benign!
These creatures first appeared in the Fiend Folio for first edition AD&D. Now, thanks to your support of Extra Life, they enter the world of fifth edition D&D. All proceeds from this product are to be contributed to ExtraLife. You can head to the D&D page on Extra Life to find out more.
About Extra Life:
Extra Life unites thousands of gamers around the world to play games in support of their local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital. Since its inception in 2008, Extra Life has raised more than $30 million for sick and injured kids. Sign up today and dedicate a day of play for kids in your community!