Wondering what’s going missing for Matched Play? The new Chapter Approved 2019 has the answers and these Chaos units are going bye-bye.
Games Workshop’s latest Chapter Approved 2019 has a new update for all the points for all the units currently in the game. They are all conveniently in a booklet called the Munitorum Field Manual.
In the Introduction section, there is a paragraph that explains that this book contains all the points for the units currently supported for Matched Play. The subtext there is that if the models names and points aren’t in this book, they are no longer supported for Matched Play – their points are out of date/out of balance and GW intentionally hasn’t included them. It goes on to say that if you want to use those units, refer to the Warhammer Legends section on the Warhammer Community website. At the time of publication, there isn’t currently a Warhammer Legends section on Warhammer Community.
We knew that GW was cooking up a way to retire some units to “Legends” Status. So we did some digging and compared the Munitorum Field Manual to the Indexes and checked which units are no longer listed.
- Chaos Lord on Bike
- Chaos Lord on Juggernaut of Khorne
- Chaos Lord on Disk of Tzeentch
- Chaos Lord on Palanquin of Nurgle
- Chaos Lord on Steed of Slaanesh
- Sorcerer on Bike
- Sorcerer on Disk of Tzeentch
- Sorcerer on Palanquin of Nurgle
- Sorcerer on Steed of Slaanesh
- Herald of Khorne
- Herald of Khorne on Blood throne
- Herald of Khorne on Juggernaut
- Herald of Tzeentch
- Herald of Tzeentch on Disc
- Herald of Tzeentch on Burning Chariot
- Herald of Nurgle
- Herald of Slaanesh on Steed
- Renegade Knight
It’s pretty clear that GW was targeting Chaos Lords and Sorcerers on the various ancient power-specific mounts as the vast majority of these units are “[Unit Name] on [mount]” – that said there are still some surprises in this line-up. We also want to mention a few things:
- This list is only for units currently in the game – there wasn’t a ton of unannounced units in the Munitorum Field Manual.
- We only looked at non-Forge World Space Marine units
- We don’t know if these units are going to get another update at some point, only that they do not have Matched Play Points in the Munitorum Field Manual
We can’t stress that last part enough. Some of the units list may have gotten their names swapped around, too. For example all the non-Slaanesh Heralds have been renamed in the Chaos Daemons codex, and the old generic Renegade Knight has been replaced with the full set of specific models from the new codex. So a lot of this is recordkeeping removals for tidiness, or to close up potential rule-of-3 shenanigans.
So now the question I’m sure everyone is asking is “Can I still play with my models!?” Yes – for Open or Narrative Play. However, they don’t have current Matched Play Points in the latest update. So if you’re going to use them in Matched Play, you better talk to your Opponent first if it’s a pick-up game. If you’re going to a Tournament, you better check with the Tournament Organizer first to see if your unit is “legal” for their tournament.
~Have at it, folks!