Self isolating? Social distancing? Stuck at your house or apartment? Need something to fill the silence while you work from home? Here are some scary movies available on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon right now to keep you entertained. Feel free to add your recommendations and where folks can find them in the comments!
- The Wicker Man – The original 1973 folk horror musical.
- The VVitch – Robert Eggers’ take on pilgrims, curses, and goats.
- Rosemary’s Baby – This 1960s horror masterpiece ratchets up the paranoia.
- Train to Busan – Bloody, violent fight against waves of zombies on a train.
- The Ritual – Don’t go out in the Swedish wilderness. Just don’t.
- Scream 1, 2, 3, & 4 – Wes Craven’s classic 90s slashers.
- Apostle – Gore. Lots and lots of gore. And there’s a cult.
- Under the Skin – Eating humans… in a weird way.
- Candyman – The curse begins. Also: bees, so many bees.
- Event Horizon – If you haven’t watched it this year, now is the time.
- The Invitation – When dinner parties go wrong.
- Anna and the Apocalypse – Musical first, horror-comedy second. All awesome.
- The Descent Part 1 and Part 2 – Caves are not safe places. Nope.
- A Quiet Place – Shhhh….
- Ghost Stories – An anthology of thrills, chills, and weird
- Beyond the Gates – Board games and death.
- Mom and Dad – Everything and everyone is bonkers. Except Nic Cage, he’s just Nic Cage.
- The Cabin in the Woods – The horror satire to end all horror satires.
- Baskin – Takes cues from Argento and Fulci.
- Children of the Corn – Fun fact: I’m related to kid who played Job.
- Overlord – This is no normal Nazi base.
- Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter – Latter day Hammer classic.
- Pyewacket – Don’t mess around with the dark arts.
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers – Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, Leonard Nimoy.
- Midsommar – What’s up with the bear? (they also have Hereditary)
- The Crazies – George Romero’s not zombies.
- The Devil Bat – Bela Lugosi, 1940
- Friday the 13th – Ch ch ch, ah ah ah
- Jacob’s Ladder – Adrian Lyne’s mind trip that inspired the look Silent Hill