The codex is up for pre-orders this weekend and the rumors are flowing. Let’s see what the Rumor mill has going on today.
Space Marine are getting a new codex in just a two weekends with pre-orders arriving on Saturday. The Rumor mill is spinning up with some “leaks” from the new book. Let’s take a look at them.
Rumor Warning: These are unconfirmed rumors. Standard caveats apply.
– Honor the Chapter stratagem is now restricted to assault intercessors only
-There’s a new stratagem that states: if your warlord is alive in the command phase of your turn, select a unit (dont think its restricted to core) and that unit is treated as having all doctrines active.
– Thunder hammers are a flat 20pts regardless if equipped to a character or non-character. and now they are -2ap not -3 (3 dmg still)
– Scouts are elites
– Whirlwind bombardment strat stops units in defensive positions from getting that benefit and makes them fight last in the fight phase. 1cp
– Master of sanctity upgrade was either 20 or 25pts (cant remember exactly)
– Chapter master is 40pts and CM picks one unit in the command phase to get full rerolls. The captain reroll 1’s aura is active otherwise
– Not all non primaris marines characters are getting the +1 wound too….Centurions remain at 4 wounds. Terminators, bikes etc DID get +1 wound though
– There WERE army restrictions for the 3 odd chapters in the book (DA SW DW)
– Wisdom of the Ancients strat was changed to have 2 options for the aura provided (either reroll 1s to hit or reroll 1s to wound)
– Deathwatch seems to have lost special ammo and cant take bike squads oddly
– Hellfire stratagem is back but it also deals 2d3 dmg to monsters
– Flakk missiles deals 2d3 dmg to fliers
– There werent many “new” strats iirc
– The Reaper variant of the new floaty tank came to 230pts (without useless upgrades)
– Theres a melta bomb stratagem that deals 2d3 MW in CC (to a vehicle or monster), 1 or 2 cp, unsure
– The Hammer of Wrath stratagem got a bit of a rework and improved quite a bit I think MWs dealt by rolling equal to or higher than enemy units toughness. Number of dice equal to number of models in engagement range (i think)
– Outriders are 3 per unit Erads and BGVs are 3-6
– BGVs and Erads are 35pts and 40pts respectively
– There was a strat for reuplsors to fall back and shoot at full BS
– The SM-only secondary objectives were all awful
– Incursors lost their combat knives exploding on 6s to hit in cc (are ap-1)
– Blood Angel assault squads cant take meltaguns anymore
– More stuff that I thought seem to have the CORE keyword. Exmaple of what dont: Centurions and Invictor warsuits
– Transhuman was there and appears to be the same
– There was a strat for phobos units to be put into reserves from the battlefield
– Non codex chapters do appear to get access to all the marine psychic powers and warlord traits and relics
– Speed of the Primarch was mentioned as the Blood Angel- only WL trait in the dex (fight first on wl)
– Only in death does duty end got nerfed can only use it if you havent already fought in the fight phase
That is a LOT to process. We can fact check a pair of these leaks to see if they are accurate, too:
- “Master of sanctity upgrade was either 20 or 25pts (cant remember exactly)” – it’s listed at 25 points, so that one checks out.
- “Chapter master is 40pts and CM picks one unit in the command phase to get full rerolls. The captain reroll 1’s aura is active otherwise” – this one looks correct in terms of points.
So far, that’s two confirmed. Perhaps someone got a peek at the codex and just got to jot down what they remembered. While we can’t confirm any of these for sure – there are some interesting things that jumped out at us:
“Scouts are elites” – Scouts being elite would put them in parity with Reivers and move them out of the Troop slot. That’s an interesting change.
“There WERE army restrictions for the 3 odd chapters in the book (DA SW DW)” – A little surprising. Makes us wonder what those codexes will look like when they arrive.
“There werent many “new” strats iirc” – Space Marines already had the most so maybe GW is just consolidating them down? Not a bad thing.
“Outriders are 3 per unit Erads and BGVs are 3-6” – If this is true, we have some info on the numbers on those unit sizes finally.
“Incursors lost their combat knives exploding on 6s to hit in cc (are ap-1)” Hey, it’s a trade off but that -1 AP could be pretty good.
“Blood Angel assault squads cant take meltaguns anymore” – Whomp Whomp. Maybe they will get it back in their own codex?
“More stuff that I thought seem to have the CORE keyword. Exmaple of what dont: Centurions and Invictor warsuits” Was anyone expecting Centurions or Invictor Warsuits to BE Core? What about the Troops, man!?
What jumped out at you and what do you think is Real/Fake from this “leak?”