We’re back and there’s still lots to go through but with the FAQs being released, let’s focus on any changes or clarifications outlined there before we go back into the great depths of 7th edition.
We did a really quick summary of the major changes on 3++ is the New Black but let’s look at the Top 10 Changes in relation to their potential impact from the latest FAQs…
- Blood Angel tanks aren’t fast – this isn’t going to make a massive difference but anyone thinking of trying to bring back some BA mech with scoring Land Raiders and fast Razorbacks / Preds just got slapped; for no reason.
- Heldrakes are wearing a neck brace – we go back to pre-6th FAQ Heldrakes; many people are lamenting the death of the Helturkey but it’s still a very good model with a lot going for it; it can still hover to get to anywhere it needs to be and has the 4+ Jink option now as well – basically you need to make a choice (something which is becoming a bit of a theme; I like). It’s still going to roast a lot of units but is a lot less point and click easy to use.
- Grey Knights lost their unique powers – so did Space Wolves and Blood Angels but Grey Knights regularly used theirs outside of Jaws and Mephiston. Their vehicles still keep them quite unique in that they have psychic powers and there’s a lot of neat little combinations that can come up from all of that without building a gimmick list which I think will get a lot of work out as people find their feet. I initially thought they lost a lot of their psychic uniqueness without things like Warp Quake, Fortitude and Cleansing Flame but upon second reflection, I think this is a sideways move in this field.
- Reinforced Aegis is no longer an offensive psychic stopping power house – but allows re-rolls for self only; Aegis can re-roll 1’s so most Grey Knight units are looking at 5’s and re-rolling 1’s as basic Psychic defenses – decently solid against offensive powers.
- Runic Weapons – they’ve already updated this thankfully as they had referred to the wrong sentence but these no long provide blanket protection, they add bonuses to Deny the Witch rolls which means there is nothing but native 6’s stopping conjurations and blessings.
- Space Marines can ally with themselves – this is something that if your are just using one detachment cannot happen in the rulebook as the Allies needs to be a “different faction” (including supplements). If there is a restriction on number of detachments allowed this may end up being quite a unique advantage.
- Old FAQs were removed – reportedly some of them were kept in the digital editions of rulebooks (can this please be confirmed?) but questions like the Vindicare ignoring LOS! and the Power Field Generator not working within vehicles are now left to our recollection or those lucky ones with digital books. This is going to cause a lot of confusion or re-raising of questions which were already answered and really could have been left in with zero effort.
- Shadow in the Warp – is missing a resolution! Apparently it’s “deadly” with Perils… but you know, would prefer some sort of improved defense against psychic powers in general (on the same note; Ghosthelm was not touched; save a Warp Charge – ignore Perils).
- Confirmed Daemonology for each codex (Orks summoning Daemons!).
- Ahirman’s staff works – and can shoot a bunch of Witchfires like a boss and make some of the crappier WC1 powers decent when spammed such as Smite or Firestorm.