X-Wing: How to Build the TIE/SF?
First of all, what the heck is the TIE/SF?
The TIE/sf space superiority fighter was a starfighter model used by the First Order, a specialized version of the TIE/fo space superiority fighter. It was a two-seater unlike the previous TIE models, and was outfitted with enhanced weapons and sensor systems as well as hyperdrives, deflector shields and life support. The TIE/sf was reserved for members of the First Order’s elite Special Forces. On the lower side of the vehicle, directly below the primary fuel tank, was a turret containing a pair of laser cannons and a mag-pulse warhead launcher.
And the toys are already flowing (images via rebelscum.com):
So what exactly are we dealing with:
We have several differences fromthe standard TIE/FO:
- Gunner controlled turret underneath the crew capsule
- Mag-pulse warhead launcher
- Deflector Shields
- Life support
- Thicker support struts where the solar panels attach.
Remember that in the movie, when every other TIE/FO gets hit – it explodes – just like a TIE should, but Poe/Finn’s TIE/SF is merely damaged, but survives when hit and tumbled into Jakku’s atmosphere.
Here is the new TIE/FO example card, maneuver chart and model from the new X-Wing The Force Awakens Starter Set:
So what should we expect?
- Clearly there will be a new model, as the differences are not cosmetic.
- I would expect it to be just a tad less maneuverable
- An extra shield or perhaps 1 extra hull may explain the enhanced durability.
- A missile slot is probably a given.
- A single crew slot could open up a lot of interesting possibilities.
The real question is how to represent the turret.
- Do you try to shoehorn in a rear 90 degree secondary fire arc like the Firespray,
- Do you give it a turret slot like the Y-Wing and the HWK?
Then of course you have the issue of trying to cram all that onto a small base.
Finally we end with the topic of cost. I would expect it to clock in at 17-18 points based on how much gets added to it.
In any case, with FFG dropping hints about new movie ships coming, I bet this thing is only weeks away from an announcement.
~How would you design it?