The Tabletop Spotlight is on the Pathfinder Villain Codex!
One of the things that really makes a story “good” is the villain. I hate to say it, but the villain generally drives the conflict in the setting. Sometimes that villain is just nature taking it’s course (fighting for survival) and sometimes it’s a diabolical plot created by a super villain.
Whatever the “villain” is in your story, it needs to be good! And sometimes coming up with a villain that is worth of your heroes is…hard. Well Paizo has a new book that should help with that – the new Villain Codex for Pathfinder!
The Villain Codex has 20 groups of baddies you can add seamlessly to your campaign. They come from all walks of life and un-life. It’s got tons of info for each faction and they cover a very wide array from your typical Thieves Guild all the way up to Secret Societies.
Really, this book is a fantastic time saver. If you’ve never DMed a game or designed your own adventures to run, you’ll understand. If you’ve only been a player in a campaign, well, you might not know how the “sausage” gets made. All the work DM’s do behind the screen to bring worlds to life is very time intensive. It’s very rewarding but sometimes you just need some help – that’s where a book like this comes in handy.
Overall, this book is a fantastic pick-up for DMs of all systems. Because it’s got a ton of background for each faction you can meld them to fit your story as much or as little as you need. The groups can easily be modified for “Sci-Fi” games, “Fantasy” or even “Modern” settings. It would take some leg work, but because they basically fit different archetypes, it’s very feasible to do. With the holidays coming up if you’re looking for a thank you gift for you DM then I highly suggest this book – they will appreciate it!
Miscreants and Malefactors
Villains are at the heart of every great adventure—scheming, plotting, and causing mayhem—but creating a convincing and detailed group of antagonists is no easy task. Pathfinder RPG Villain Codex serves up 20 groups of vile miscreants waiting to menace your player characters and foil their every plan. Inside this time-saving tome, you will find a wide variety of foes, from a scheming regal court to a sinister doomsday cult, ready to challenge characters of any level. These villains come equipped with a host of new rules elements to give them the edge against players and fit into nearly any campaign!
Villain Codex is an essential addition to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. This imaginative tabletop game builds on more than 15 years of system development and an open playtest featuring more than 50,000 gamers to create a cutting-edge RPG experience that brings the all-time best-selling set of fantasy rules into a new era.
Pathfinder RPG Villain Codex includes:
- Complete sections for 20 villainous organizations, including a power- hungry arcane society, a greedy merchant caravan, a fleet of scandalous pirates, a creepy secret society, and a wily thieves’ guild. Trade blows with the serpentfolk-worshiping monks of Fang Monastery, match wits with the sly bandits of the Merry Outlaws, or defend civilization from the wild druids of Nature’s Scourge!
- Information on each organization’s history and structure, along with plot hooks to get the players interested in confronting the group.
- New rules in each villain section, including feats, spells, and magic items.
- A wide variety of new stat blocks for all organization members, using each villain section’s new rules.
- Premade encounter groups, allowing Game Masters to quickly make use of the villains in every section.
- … And much, much more!
I really want the villains on the cover to be the “Iconic” Villains for Pathfinder now…