Age of Sigmar has been cranking out Battletomes in its three and a half years. At long last – has almost completely replaced WFB’s armies.
When Age of Sigmar launched back in the Summer of 2015, it seemed an impossible task to replace the giant 30 year old catalogue of Warhammer Fantasy miniatures and factions.
Well as we look upon the dawn of 2019 this is where we stand:
Grand Alliance Order
- Stormcast Eternals
- Seraphon, previously the Lizardmen.
- Sylvaneth, forest spirits, previously a part of the Wood Elves.
- The previous Dwarfs are split into four factions, The Dispossessed are more traditional WFB Dwarfs, The Ironweld Arsenal focuses on their artillery and are allied with humans.
- Fyreslayers are mercenary Dwarfs who worship Grimnir and fight for Ur-Gold
- Kharadron Overlords are skyborne airship raiders who live in floating skyports.
- What was The Empire now include the Devoted of Sigmar, priests and such, the Collegiate Arcane wizards, and Freeguild knights, archers, and soldiers.
- Previously the High Elves now include the Wanderers, Eldritch Council wizards, Phoenix Temple, the Lion Rangers, and Swifthawk Agents.
- The previous Dark Elves are now Orders Draconis and Serpentis, Scourge Privateers, Darkling Covens, and the Shadowblade assassins.
- Daughters of Khaine are Morathi’s bloody cabal of witch aelves devoted to Khaine.
- The Idoneth Deepkin are waterborne aelves created by Teclis who raid the surface dwellers.
Grand Alliance Chaos
- Everchosen, the followers of Archaon
- Slaves to Darkness, mortal warriors devoted to Chaos in its undivided form. Was previously Warriors of Chaos
- Blades of Khorne, daemons and Bloodbound mortals of Khorne. What was previously Daemons of Chaos has been split among multiple battletomes.
- Disciples of Tzeentch, daemons and Arcanite mortals of Tzeentch.
- Maggotkin of Nurgle, daemons and Rotbringer mortals of Nurgle.
- Hosts of Slaanesh, daemons and mortals of Slaanesh. The servants of Slaanesh are searching across the realms for their imprisoned lord.
- Beasts of Chaos, previously Beastmen, includes the forces of the Beastmen, Monsters of Chaos, Chaos Gargants, and Thunderscorn.
- Clans Pestilens are Skaven fanatically devoted to the Great Horned Rat’s plague aspect. The remaining traditional clans are Skryre, Moulder, Eshin, and Verminus.
Grand Alliance Death
- Legions of Nagash, Deathlords, the Soulblight vampires, the Deathmage necromancers, the Deadwalker zombies, and the Deathrattle skeletons. Was previously Vampire Counts
- Flesh-Eater Courts, vile ghouls and vampires.
- Nighthaunt ghosts, spirits, and wraiths.
Grand Alliance Destruction
- Orruks and Grots, formerly the Orcs and Goblins.
- Bonesplitterz or savage tribal orruks.
- Ironjawz are heavily-armored elite orruk warriors.
- Gloomspite Gitz include Moonclan Grots, Squigs, Spiderfang Grots, Troggoths, and Aleguzzler Gargants.
- Beastclaw Raiders, icebound ogors who ride massive Thundertusks and Mournfangs. Previously the Ogre Kingdoms, Minor factions include the Firebellies, Gutbusters, and Maneaters.
Let’s all pour one out for these two who didn’t make it out of the World That Was…
Where are We?
Lets compare the number of army books for WFB when The END TIMES occurred to where Age of Sigmar is now:
- Warhammer Fantasy: 15 armybooks
- Age of Sigmar: 20 battletomes
We have already heard that Skaven and Slaanesh are returning this year, along with recurring rumors of reimagined Slaves of Darkness, and High Elves. That would leave tons of micro factions to cover if GW wants to spin them off, but GW will pretty much have every old WFB faction reimagined at least partially with the exception of:
- Dark Elves
It’s been tremendous amount of growth for Age of Sigmar but I think a year from now, we will be looking back and only barely be able to see the faint outlines of Warhammer Fantasy in the distant past, almost entirely replaced and updated with the Mortal Realms.
~ What is your favorite faction in Age of Sigmar that has been reinvented from the bones of WFB?